BHC

Tick Twister Tool

I just bought the one that HH recommends. I flipped a coin. Thanks for the heads BHC and HH :up: Those bastards are out in force no doubt :down:

• Agree 1

I have one of those and one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Key-Products-TickKey-Remover/dp/B000R1D3KQ/ref=zg_bs_2975390011_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5M83DSZH4RC5R7SS9705

Both of them work like a charm.  We've had the plastic one for about 7 years now and it still works perfectly.  Picked up the metal one a year or two ago just to have an extra on hand in case we broke or lost the plastic one

• Agree 1

Two weeks ago setting up my cam my friebd and I had at least 40 ticks on our clothes....worst I have ever seen it.....I just ordered the tick remover I posted above

• Agree 1

Two weeks ago setting up my cam my friebd and I had at least 40 ticks on our clothes....worst I have ever seen it.....I just ordered the tick remover I posted above

Get some of this too!

SawyerSidebySide.jpg

• Agree 2

Sawyer spray I use and works great

I don't think it works all that great.. :rofl: 

I didn't apply Sawyers 2 weeks ago....it was cold and light rain didn't think ticks would be a problem I was mistaken. Last week I applied Sawyers and had zero ticks

I've posted this before but - buy yourself some bulk Martin's 10% permethrin and make multiple gallons of the stuff for cheap (about 4.5 gallons worth) - Sawyers is ridiculously expensive for what you get. If you figure 24 oz. of Sawyers (which is 0.5% permethrin) is $15 and 32 oz. of bulk permethrin (which is 10% permethrin) is $21, it would cost you about $360 to buy as much Sawyers as the $21 bulk permethrin can make for you! :shock:

You can spray every single item of clothing (from your hat to your socks and everything in between) and still have leftovers to do it multiple times over. I even spray my boots, backpacks, and even my truck seat covers in case ticks manage to be brought into the truck.

This stuff is so good, and you get so much, when I was on my deck spraying my clothes a few days ago, I noticed those carpenter bees back again making their homes in my deck posts so I sprayed my deck posts while I was at it. While I was finishing up my clothes, I noticed two dying carpenter bees where I sprayed!

I get that Martin's which is the 10% stuff and non-petroleum based - you mix 1 gallon of water with 7 oz of that and you get 0.52% solution - virtually the same percentage of permethrin (a little bit more actually) of the Sawyers stuff (which is 0.5%).

There is a 36.8% permethrin solution you can buy. This one has petroleum distillates in it but if you buy that you can make 16 GALLONS of the stuff! Sawyer's doesn't have petroleum distillates, so you won't be making exactly the same thing as Sawyers (the active ingredient is the same - permethrin), but I've used this in the past and works just as well. You would need to buy about $1,275 worth of Sawyers to match the amount of solution you get with this 36.8% stuff :)

• Agree 1

just use good old fashioned tweezers

that's the second worse to use, the first is a flame.  I went to a tick kind of seminar and they gave out tick removing pick. Something that looked like a piece of rectangular s steel with a slit , similar to the front end of the first picture in mazzgolf's post.  But I find prevention is best, by spraying clothing with Permethrin and using deet on the skin.

nearly all experts suggest that you do NOT twist the tick to remove it. I use a tick key if my dog happens to get the random tick each year.

The best method is actually grabbing the tick and pulling it out quickly. Trying to use a tool or other methods allows the tick to time to regurgitate and expel toxins. That is how desease enters your body. By quickly grabbing and pulling you remove the possibility of that happening.  

The best method is actually grabbing the tick and pulling it out quickly. Trying to use a tool or other methods allows the tick to time to regurgitate and expel toxins. That is how desease enters your body. By quickly grabbing and pulling you remove the possibility of that happening.

Actually that is 100% false. If you grab it, you squeeze it and that is when it regurgitates. These types of tools pull by the head without squeezing the body of the tick at all.

• Agree 1

Do you spray Permetherin on your dogs even though we give them advantix?

My bottle of 36.8% permethrin as well as the 10% Martins has instructions for dogs. DO NOT USE ON CATS! I believe Permethrin is very bad to cats (and fish IIRC - so don't let run off go into streams or ponds or fish bowls/tanks)

"Do not use on dogs under 12 weeks old"

Check the label for more details - but the labeling has explicit instructions for use on dogs. When in doubt, talk to your vet before applying.

Here's the Martin's label - see around page 18 : http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Permethrin%2010%20Label.pdf

FWIW .... years ago, my breeder, who also is a vet that publishes through Virginia Tech U, told me to go ahead and use a Preventic collar, in addition to the topical I was using, when I told her that the tick situation was really bad.