IGNORED

Hinge Cutting: High vs. Low

Most articles on hinge cutting seem to be quite recent, when googling it most articles were written within the last 5-10 years.  Is this a relatively new trend in habitat management?

I remember doing this as a kid back in the 70s.  Our stands of maples provided no food or cover down at the ground where deer needed it, so I would cut trees partially through and lay them down flat where the deer could get to them.  The deer loved it.  

Today the trend is to cut trees higher so that deer can walk under them, but after 40 years of doing this and observing the long term effects on the habitat I think I still prefer to cut them down at ground level.  

Trees grow new branches where they are cut, this is called coppicing.  If you cut a tree 4-5 feet above the ground then that tree will grow a bunch of new branches above the deer's reach.  In only a few short years those trees will be of no use to the deer and the area will be shaded out again. 

When trees are hinged at the base, the new growth is from the stump and the new shoots will provide food and cover down where deer can use it for many years.  

Will it kill the stump if you cut too low Rusty? What about cutting in 2-3 foot up? In between

It doesn't kill the stump.  If the tree is low to the ground deer can step over it but 2-3' high would make it more difficult for deer to move around. 

stump sprouting.jpg

2-24-17.JPG

What I have found to be true on my property concerning hinge cutting practices is that deer seem to prefer a trail which incorporates a tunnel effect when walking about. They like overhead trail cover and a fairly tight trail width. I often carry parachute cord with me and tie overhead cover in place.

Going with the above statement and as odd as this may seem, I've often wondered if you were to tie paracord to create a funnel...would it work? I know that with placing logs, brush, limbs etc in an lineal matter will often make deer follow the line, so what would happen if you literally installed a "line"?

1sm260gun1.gif