IGNORED

A Great Loss!

Mink

Only a short 100 years ago, 9 out of every 10 trees in NJ's highlands region would have been a chestnut.  Oaks were far behind, but # 2 in quantity.  We've lost the chestnuts, the elms, many of the hemlocks, and now we're losing all of our native ash trees as well.

Only a short 100 years ago, 9 out of every 10 trees in NJ's highlands region would have been a chestnut.  Oaks were far behind, but # 2 in quantity.  We've lost the chestnuts, the elms, many of the hemlocks, and now we're losing all of our native ash trees as well.

Sad but true.  

Sad but true.  

I still find a few stump sprouts on Sparta Mountain from time to time each summer.  You can't miss those leaves!  My church in Gladstone is built out of chestnuts.  Every pew is chestnut and our pastor when she was new wanted to de-clutter the church basement (storage only) and toss many of the spare pews down there until I explained that the wood likely cannot be replaced.  Looking forward to getting better and better cultivars that are blight resistant and closer to our American chestnuts than the Chinese trees they had to out-cross to in order to get the disease resistance.  

interesting. we have a giant chestnut. I'm constantly running over the nuts in and out of my driveway. I did not know chestnut trees were in danger. ash yes due to those beetles. I also see ash tree often choked to death in poison ivy vines. in the winter I will cut the vines in half to kill the vines.

interesting. we have a giant chestnut. I'm constantly running over the nuts in and out of my driveway. I did not know chestnut trees were in danger. ash yes due to those beetles. I also see ash tree often choked to death in poison ivy vines. in the winter I will cut the vines in half to kill the vines.

That's a different species of chestnut.  The American chestnut is all but gone, although the stumps are still sprouting.   

Kype, could it be a horse chestnut tree you have?  They are native and still fine.  

We have found some in Stokes that are large enough to produce a few nuts every year, but they are far and few between. I was lucky to receive a few of the 15/16th's Chestnuts that the Society  has been working on and I planted them on my property in Pa., only time will tell with these.

Irish Potato Famine - White Privilege 

I was lucky to receive a few of the 15/16th's Chestnuts that the Society  has been working on and I planted them on my property in Pa., only time will tell with these.

Very cool, we planted the Dunstan chestnuts on Sparta Mt WMA a few years back.  They are doing well.