Thunderchicken

Compound or Traditional

Rusty is hereby banned from displaying any additional pictures of his "traditional" deer harvests from the 70's until he does it again in 2017. lol

How about from the 21st century?  

Whittingham.jpg

• Agree 4

That's funny Rusty. Here's my son shooting from the same spot at the Whittingham Shoot.

IMG_0653.JPG

• Agree 2

Been shooting traditional only for about ten years now. I've been very into more "modern" recurves lately (metal ILF risers/ Olympic limbs) so I kind of feel like I'm "cheating" lately!

• Agree 2

Been shooting traditional only for about ten years now. I've been very into more "modern" recurves lately (metal ILF risers/ Olympic limbs) so I kind of feel like I'm "cheating" lately!

It's all good. Enjoy...

Mathews SBXT. I really wish I could shoot traditional again but after multiple surgeries on both shoulders, they are wrecked. I could never shoot enough to be good with trad gear. I can only do 15 or so arrows a day, if that, on a good day. Have to stay with the compound, and may not be able to do that for too many more years. I really miss the connection to the bow and arrow you get shooting trad gear, fingers on the string, instinctively. There really is nothing quite like it. It's archery/bow hunting in the purest sense, a very different feeling that you get with the compound but one I just can't do any longer. 

That's funny Rusty. Here's my son shooting from the same spot at the Whittingham Shoot.

That's great.  :up:  :up: :up:  

2010 Matthews Z7, 65#...  The most lethal weapon I have ever used.   I also have a 48# Custom Rampart Recurve that I dabble in, but I need to commit more time to practicing with it before I dare launch an arrow at game. I was nearly proficient this past summer and thought about it, but then practice time ran short.  It's a goal - may never fully switch over but I would like to shoot some deer with it (Someday - the "8th" day of the week that is)

Currently shooting an Xpedition Xcentric 7. Dont see myself switching unless I pick up something from their 2017 lineup.

I'm drooling over the Denali.  It looks beautiful and the numbers are amazing on it.  I need to get in to the shop and shoot one.  Actually, I don't need to do that. I don't have the cash for a new bow right now.   

Black Widow recurve....that's a public land doe from this year she busted me multiple times this season

IMG_0096.PNG

• Agree 5

i committed to the recurve this year but no luck yet. lots of opportunity. thought i had a squirrel the other day but must have missed. its been a mission

• Agree 2

Welcome Hanky and congratulations on your deer.  Black Widows are sweet shooting bows for sure.  :up:

i committed to the recurve this year but no luck yet. lots of opportunity. thought i had a squirrel the other day but must have missed. its been a mission

Stick with it kuz, the greater the challenge the sweeter the reward when it finally all comes together.  :up:

Started with a Recurve in the 1960's.

Changed to a Bear Compound and upgraded to a Hoyt Compound in the 1980's through the mid 1990's.

Back to using Owen Jeffrey Recurve 1990's.

Recently changed to using a Leon Stewart Longbow.

Changing to a 45# longbow has provided much physical comfort, allowing the use of a heavy arrow, and shoot with the utmost in quietness. 

Have had to sit on the sidelines for the past year due to an injury at work forcing me to undergo major rotator cuff surgery, and other damage I can't even pronounce.

Surgery on both shoulders and elbows has caused a slight postponement in all of my outdoor activities.

Hopefully, come this spring I will be able to have use of both my arms again.

Then its practice, practice, practice to get back to being able to shoot 20 - 25 yards instinctive again.

Pix of my Stewart 45# Longbow below.....

DSC00054.JPG

DSC00055.JPG

DSC00042.JPG

• Agree 4

Changed to a Bear Compound and upgraded to a Hoyt Compound in the 1980's through the mid 1990's.

Changing to a 45# longbow has provided much physical comfort, allowing the use of a heavy arrow, and shoot with the utmost in quietness. 

Have had to sit on the sidelines for the past year due to an injury at work forcing me to undergo major rotator cuff surgery, and other damage I can't even pronounce.

Surgery on both shoulders and elbows has caused a slight postponement in all of my outdoor activities.

Then its practice, practice, practice to get back to being able to shoot 20 - 25 yards instinctive again.

Good luck with your recovery!! :up:

Ouch, hope you heal up quick and get back at it.  Great bow!  

Good luck getting back to it Bill. 

Have a bear outbreak will be splurging for a new bow over the summer, maybe a long bow too I've always wanted to take a deer with a long bow but feel I should master the compound more before I partake in that chase

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm mostly traditional, but, I carried a crossbow yesterday! go figure. The last season I hunted with a compound was 95. I got about a dozen, maybe 15 stickbows in the house, and since they all shoot a different arrow that means dozens of dozens arrows and shafts! I love it