IGNORED

What is the most meat you ever got on a deer?

John B

I am a meat hunter. I measure my deer by how many pounds I put in the freezer, watching my family enjoying a venison dinner is the forfilment of the hunt for me.

I am curious, what is the most you ever got from a deer? I know my butcher is legitimate, I bring a small deer, I get 20 lbs. A "big" deer, I get the mid 30's. My best ever was 38 lbs.

My understanding is 40% of field dressed weight. I am not questioning the amount I get from my current butcher,i know I am getting the correct amount. Just wondering how much the most everyone ever got? I have one buck on cam that based on my past experience should bring 45 to 50 pounds. My dream is to hunt a bull elk, I hear the yield 300 to 400 pounds of meat.

The normal yield on a whitetail is about 40% of live weight.  If you're shooting 100lb does, you should be picking up 40lbs of meat.  If you aren't picking up 40lbs from the deer, either shoot bigger deer or get a new butcher. Or both

The 10pt I shot 5 years ago was a 200lb pounder.  I had just about 75lbs from him.  That was my biggest deer to date

Edited by not on the rug

my first and only deer butchered was 3 full shopping bags full.  My butcher had 3 bags on the counter and I paid him and he handed me a bag. I Thanked him and went out the rear service entrance.  When he came out following me and asked "don't you want the rest"  I was kind of embarrassed and wondered where I would keep all this meat.  Fortunately my dad had a huge chest freezer. But Now I butcher my own and get roughly 28 lbs of clean, boneless meat , depending on the size and sex. 

I have been cutting my own for a while now, the only way you are getting close to 50 % is if you are taking EVERYTHING including meat between the ribs, 35 to 40% at the most is what you can expect, off a 100 lbs deer I get with absolute all the time get in the ballpark few pounds plus r minus 35lbs of clean meat the family enjoys, and about 10lbs of Dog food, which is blood damage, ribs not in between, flank, and all the other stuff hat is just too much work to pick clean of silver kind or fat. My take out pile to woods is nothing more than bare bones and skin, I can honestly say I waste nothing, so my answer with having been cutting my own deer over the last 20 years is ballpark 35% family 10-15% dogs and 50-55% birds.

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

I can tell you the least amount.....

Dropped off a 100lb dressed doe to a local butcher/taxidermist. I needed the entire deer in chop meat. Even payed for beef fat. I was donating the deer to a needy family. Long story short,got the call to pick it up. When I got there, I was handed a garbage bag that had 13 lbs of ground.

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

I don't know about the most meat, but I can say when I bring it to a professional butcher I get significantly more meat than when I do it myself

One butcher I used to go to years ago I would get much more meat than expected from a small doe and about what I expected from a large buck, I suspect he was mixing the meat with other guy's deer. Needless to say I don't use him any more. Actually I don't think he is still in business.

I don't know about the most meat, but I can say when I bring it to a professional butcher I get significantly more meat than when I do it myself

One butcher I used to go to years ago I would get much more meat than expected from a small doe and about what I expected from a large buck, I suspect he was mixing the meat with other guy's deer. Needless to say I don't use him any more. Actually I don't think he is still in business.

That's why ANY MORE than 40% dressed weight so bogus not your deer but a mix, I started butchering you own in the early 90s because I was poor lol who isn't now married kids wife likes the fact she knows who handled what's for dinner and it's clean Edited by Roon

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.