IGNORED

Pennsylvania Bill To Allow Semi-Autos For Hunting

BHC

The bill was voted on almost 2yrs ago and passed. Theway it was worded allowed the PGC to write the standards on what game and seasons you would be allowed to use semi autos for and according to PGC officials they would NOT institute the use of them for any species or seasons, so passing it was just a waste. It was stirred up again and the new vote is supposedly going to automatically llow the use of SA firearms but us here in Pa dont think anything will happen this year or even next.

It's kind of weird since they can already use a semi slug gun to hunt deer....Not sure what you couldn't hit with a slug gun that a rifle would help on....You want the rifle to reach out beyond 100 yards. But if you're shooting that far, I don't think Semi auto is going to help you any....at that distance, its pretty much a single well placed shot....But to each their own....if they want it....well then Go get it! 

It's kind of weird since they can already use a semi slug gun to hunt deer....Not sure what you couldn't hit with a slug gun that a rifle would help on....You want the rifle to reach out beyond 100 yards. But if you're shooting that far, I don't think Semi auto is going to help you any....at that distance, its pretty much a single well placed shot....But to each their own....if they want it....well then Go get it!

MTH the only real benefit I could see from it is smaller framed and younger hunters that can't stand the punishment of the rifle recoil. A semi-auto really helps to dampen the felt affects from the round and may help more younger hunters feel comfortable getting out there after some deer

MTH the only real benefit I could see from it is smaller framed and younger hunters that can't stand the punishment of the rifle recoil. A semi-auto really helps to dampen the felt affects from the round and may help more younger hunters feel comfortable getting out there after some deer

As well as older folks, recoil became an issue with my father later in life.

As for accuracy a friend of mine has a Browning in 7mm mag that shoots under an inch at 100yrds.

AWM

I have a problem with youngsters using semi auto's. I am all for making them legal to hunt Deer with in Pa. NY has been using them forever with no problem.

I cut my teeth on small game shooting a Savage single 16ga. I knew I had one shot and had to make it count. It taught me to be patient and make a good shot. It also made me a better shooter. Even at the ripe old age of 10 the recoil was never a problem. Deer Hunting I used a Sears 12ga. Bolt Action. Again it taught me to be patient and make a good shot. My Dad was a smart guy and knew how to start a new hunter. Hopefully if this get's passed Pa. Dads are as smart.

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

I have a problem with youngsters using semi auto's. I am all for making them legal to hunt Deer with in Pa. NY has been using them forever with no problem.

I started my kids off deer hunting with pumps.....and in their first few years I only let them hunt with a single round in the gun....It was an expensive single shot shotgun...but as their confidence grew and their experience with the guns grew, they graduated to the 3 shot capacity....

I cut my teeth on small game shooting a Savage single 16ga. I knew I had one shot and had to make it count. It taught me to be patient and make a good shot. It also made me a better shooter. Even at the ripe old age of 10 the recoil was never a problem. Deer Hunting I used a Sears 12ga. Bolt Action. Again it taught me to be patient and make a good shot. My Dad was a smart guy and knew how to start a new hunter. Hopefully if this get's passed Pa. Dads are as smart.

Stevo I don't disagree with you entirely if your reason is you don't want them thinking they have a second quick shot so the first shot doesn't really matter. Just give them one round at a time. They'll make that one count because it's their only chance and they won't be so afraid of the recoil.

I learned to shoot with a single shot 20 gauge. But started hunting ducks with an 870 youth 20. Those low brass target loads didn't kick much and they didn't scare me as a kid. I didn't even notice the difference in the magnum duck loads when the birds were coming (I think i would have noticed when target shooting due to the lack of adrenaline). Rifles don't really afford that ability to readily change loads and their felt recoil so I believe an auto loader is a great way to introduce younger hunters to the sport and I think only handing them 1 round at a time when they are in their first few years of hunting is a very responsible and important lesson for the youngsters to learn and experience

Edited by Bubblehead

It's kind of weird since they can already use a semi slug gun to hunt deer....Not sure what you couldn't hit with a slug gun that a rifle would help on

Yet another reason why our gun laws are so often moronic. 

"I wish we could sell them another hill at the same price." - Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, June 28, 1775