IGNORED

No Extended Archery Season For Me Again

Hondo

Second year in a row no Extended Archery Season for me. This marks he second year in a row that I have not seen one deer from my deer stands. Been hunting these woods for over 15 years on the closer side to 20 now and I've always seen deer during the archery season but not these past 2 seasons. I'm not saying that I shoot deer every season but I at least SEE some deer in the woods. The areas I hunt used to hold a good sized deer heard. Lots of rubs and scrapes. Lots of tracks and droppings and worn trails. No more!  I hunt this area because it's a short trip from home and work. I'm going to try once more tomorrow after work but this is it and my heart isn't in it either.  I'm not wasting my $ on tag soup. What the heck happened to our deer? Sorry to bitch and moan but this sucks!

This is why its called hunting and not killing. Dont hunt the past. If your not see them then move or get out and scout. Habitat and deer movement have changed over the pass 20 years. Any more the closer to houses the better. The 150'bow rule opens a lot of prime area in our busy state.

Doing something wrong, deer are everywhere. Your first mistake is staying in that spot after not seeing any deer, move Damnit! Deer are not stupid, they probably know you are there and go around you. I switch up my spots every year usually. Usually the best hunt you have from a stand is when it is in a new spot and you surprise them. I have morning stands, evening stands...stands for the rut, stands for winter, and stands for early season. Deer never stay in one spot all year. Right now you should be on a route to a bedding area because deer will be traveling through Checking for a hot doe. You want to catch them mid way, don't set up too close to it either cause you will blow them out.

Edited by Oneday121o

I can't tell you all my secrets but I would definitely move! You should be seeing deer every sit. Go shed hunting in the off season and get a feel for the woods, or follow their tracks in the snow. You can learn a lot in the off season just by going for couple mile walks and stumbling across certain buck havens and following the sign.

This is why its called hunting and not killing. Dont hunt the past. If your not see them then move or get out and scout. Habitat and deer movement have changed over the pass 20 years. Any more the closer to houses the better. The 150'bow rule opens a lot of prime area in our busy state.

Yes, something as simple as a tree falling can change their funnel and regular route. Pay attention to the woods and learn to use it to your advantage.

Hondo, I hear you. I am on a cull property and saw no deer last year, despite 100+ cam photos a week (all nocturnal). This year, 2 doe so far and 10 to 20 pics. The cull is working, but it is frustrating as a hunter. Everyone is right who posted so far...we need to adjust to the revised deer patterns. Myself included. My cull is about 8 properties and the pecking order of the best spots is not something I have earned yet. That being said, it is still on me to move. I'm just slightly stubborn. ..lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

- Mack

I've sat multiple spots and changed up things. It's not like I don't know how to hunt. I'm very cautious about scent control and movement while on stand and play the wind all the time. I'm not one of those who just dumps 50 pounds of corn on the ground and sits on the pile. The deer numbers are just not there like they were plain and simple. The areas I hunt don't have a lot of hunting pressure either. Most of my spots are a long way from the roads. Maybe I should hunt close to the houses as stated above, watch their TV's and listen to their private conversations LOL

I've sat multiple spots and changed up things. It's not like I don't know how to hunt. I'm very cautious about scent control and movement while on stand and play the wind all the time. I'm not one of those who just dumps 50 pounds of corn on the ground and sits on the pile. The deer numbers are just not there like they were plain and simple. The areas I hunt don't have a lot of hunting pressure either. Most of my spots are a long way from the roads. Maybe I should hunt close to the houses as stated above, watch their TV's and listen to their private conversations LOL

You'd be surprised at how many things I have killed in someone's back yard that boarder state land. Just make sure you are 150 yards away and be careful of your stand if little kids are running around, you don't want them climbing up it. Do some research on it...it is legal

Hondo I'm kinda in the same boat as you my friend.I haven't seen much worth shooting as far as buck wise I've seen the buck I've hunted for 3 yrs but the farmer planted corn on the wrong side of the farm then he plowed it too early I have had opportunities to shoot smaller bucks and some young does but I passed.I killed one nice doe and that's it...I've been enjoying our striped bass fishery instead it's been a phenomenal fall run thus far...