IGNORED

have a few questions about cats

Kype

i personally have never been a cat person. i always liked dogs over cats. anyway, over the last 2 weeks now i have seen a black and white cat and its tail is ringed like a raccoon(dont know what cat that is). every night it sits on our back porch. the soft side got a hold of me so i started feeding it. now the darn thing comes every night and i have been feeding it every night. it was kind of a snowball effect. now the cat follows me around and rolls around on its back and lets me pet it etc.. the other night a put a flea and tick medicine on its skin. im getting a soft spot for this darn cat now. still not sure how this all happen lol

my question is, we have a 7 month old in the house. does anyone here know how cats respond to babies? should i even bring it in the house? or let it do its thing outside? i have seen it capture mice and see dead mice in the backyard. maybe just leave it be? or should i bring it in with winter around the corner? still not sure what to do. what do you guys think? it is a small cat, definitetly not full size. maybe it was born this past spring/summer, not sure

I was told that if it has a little nick cut on its ear that means it's been spayed or neutered. I would be worried about it having kittens under your shed or something.

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. My wife called me at work and said there was a cat hanging around the yard. My first words were don't feed it. Don't even give it water. I knew if it started once the temp dropped she would want it in the house. Luckily I saw someone picking it up one day in the front yard. She still thinks I killed it.

We took in a cat a few years ago that belonged to a family down the block. They moved and abandoned the cat so I took to feeding it and he is very friendly. He started bringing his kills to the house to show his appreciation for me feeding it. When the weather got cold I'd let him in and he's never once torn up one thing in the house or fought with our indoor cat. So now he is part of our family.

BTW cats have individual personalities and some might be fine with your baby or ignore the baby all together.

Good luck it sounds like you have a new family member.

A couple of years ago my kids heard something in my wife's car under the hood, ended up being a kitten that was cold, it was in December and cold outside.  My wife took it out and hoped that it would run away, neother of us are cat people.  But when it didn't run away the kids convinced her to take it in.  Took it to the vets got it checked out and got him shots, when he was old enough got him fixed.

3 years later we still have him, the kids love him and even our 100# Chessie gets along with him.  Worked out well in the end.

well you guys gave me some good news. just finished up a cigar and the cat followed me to the door. it is now sitting on the porch starring at the door. i will give it until friday night and i guess i will bring it in. if it doesnt work out with the baby and all i will take it to a shelter. 

Stop feeding it and it will go away. Feral cats are like Democrats and love hand outs. They ain't nice and have a lot of the outdoors in them. I wouldn't have it around a little one until you pay a vet a pretty penny to check it out and still wouldn't. Your call

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Stop feeding it and it will go away. Feral cats are like Democrats and love hand outs. They ain't nice and have a lot of the outdoors in them. I wouldn't have it around a little one until you pay a vet a pretty penny to check it out and still wouldn't. Your call

yeah my number one concern is my 7 month daughter. 

If you are evening considering keeping it, the vet is the first place to take it before you let it in the house.  Whatever that cat has you are bringing into your home, so it's money well spent.

If it's not neutered and you want to keep it, get it neutered.  Otherwise you'll have a lot more cats.

I'm allergic to cats, so every one that comes to the door never comes in the house.  And with three animal-friendly women in my house, we would be overrun with cats at this point.

Good luck!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I doubt the cat will be an issue around your baby.  We always had them when our kids were babies, some of which were strays that we brought in (cats, not the babies).  They all seemed mildly amused at the little pink blobs laying on the floor screaming and/or crawling around, gave them a glance and went on their way to some place quiet.