IGNORED

Inheiriting Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns

Tarhunt

As many of you know, my father passed away last month and my brother and I inherited my father's guns. It was specified in his will that my brother and I will inherit his guns. Now, my father lived out of state. How do I legally transfer them into my name and transfer them into New Jersey? Or should I contact an attorney? I just want to do the right way and legal way. Thanks for any input. Tarhunt.

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

You have do nothing but take possession of them. While transporting have a copy of the will if it makes you feel better. NJ Law allows for the inheritance of firearms as an exception to the permitting process as long as you do not have any of the 9 disqualifiers which would prevent you from owning them.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

You have do nothing but take possession of them. While transporting have a copy of the will if it makes you feel better. NJ Law allows for the inheritance of firearms as an exception to the permitting process as long as you do not have any of the 9 disqualifiers which would prevent you from owning them.

What about the handguns? Do I still need to apply for permits?

Edited by Tarhunt

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

Nope. NJAC 13:54-1.13 they are yours by the inheritance

Edited by Bucndoe

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Tarhunt,

Condolences...  God Bless your father and family.

How many guns?  Long guns, handguns, both?

I suppose you could take the lot to an FFL and transfer it to yourself.  Sounds expensive and I would not do it.  

For long guns, the Executor of the Estate and yourself could complete the Certificate of Eligibility.

For handguns, assuming there are a few.  You could get the serial numbers and head to the local Chief with your Multiple Handgun Purchase Exemption.  Yes, you can indeed purchase more than one a month.

I just found an old CoE for an estate gun I purchased.  Under "Name of Transferor" the wife of the deceased signed her name and in parentheses wrote "Administrator of the Estate of ** ***."

This was a NJ - NJ transfer and I am not sure how it works out of state.

I would call the NJ State Police and ask them how to handle an out of state transfer.  Specifically, where it says "Transferor's Firearm ID Card Number."  They will probably just say to leave it blank or write ----------n/a---------------.

Lastly, how old are the guns?

Feel free to PM me any info you do not feel like posting.

edit - I was thinking along the lines of a few of the other posters...

Edited by username

Tarhunt,

Condolences...  God Bless your father and family.

How many guns?  Long guns, handguns, both?

I suppose you could take the lot to an FFL and transfer it to yourself.  Sounds expensive and I would not do it.  

For long guns, the Executor of the Estate and yourself complete the Certificate of Eligibility.

For handguns, assuming there are a few.  Get the serial numbers and head to the local Chief with your Multiple Handgun Purchase Exemption.  Yes, you can indeed purchase more than one a month.

I just found an old CoE for an estate gun I purchased.  Under "Name of Transferor" the wife of the deceased signed her name and in parentheses wrote "Administrator of the Estate of ** ***."

This was a NJ - NJ transfer and I am not sure how it works out of state.

I would call the NJ State Police and ask them how to handle an out of state transfer.  Specifically, where it says "Transferor's Firearm ID Card Number."  They will probably just say to leave it blank or write ----------n/a---------------.

Lastly, how old are the guns?

Feel free to PM me any info you do not feel like posting.

100 percent incorrect. The situation you are quoting is in a sale from Estate, not an inheritance situation. Different situations require different laws to be applied. See NJAC 13:54-1.13 no need for permits or FFL transfer. The law I gave you covers Firearms Passing to Heirs

Edited by Bucndoe