IGNORED

Reloading Newb

Haskell_Hunter

I have a feeling I'm going to get into reloading soon.  I have a few rifles, shotguns and pistols, so I could be doing the whole gamut.  I just got my new Midway flier in the mail, and the back section of it is dedicated to reloading.

I have no idea where to start, but I usually start with inhaling as much information into my brain as possible, and then I come up with a plan for gear.  So I would prefer recommendations on sites/blogs/books that I can start with, and I'll eventually move to the buying phase next.

So where do you all recommend I start?

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I have a feeling I'm going to get into reloading soon.  I have a few rifles, shotguns and pistols, so I could be doing the whole gamut.  I just got my new Midway flier in the mail, and the back section of it is dedicated to reloading.

I have no idea where to start, but I usually start with inhaling as much information into my brain as possible, and then I come up with a plan for gear.  So I would prefer recommendations on sites/blogs/books that I can start with, and I'll eventually move to the buying phase next.

So where do you all recommend I start?

youtube lol

I learned some from YouTube as far as equipment and the basics of how it's done but get all my load data from manuals and powder manufacturers websites.

I would starting with the lee manual as it covers pretty much everything you need to understand how it all works then go from there.

I'm far from an expert but I load all 45/70,30/06, and 10mm on a lee classic turret. It works fine for what I need but loading a lot of pistol ammo is pretty time consuming without a progressive press.

I would recommend you don't rush into it...Read ,read, and read some more. Look into a  re loader forum to learn from others.

There a lot of experienced re-loaders on here to.

Can be very rewarding for squeezing the most out of your high power rifle.

My reloading is based on performance not trying to save money. Good projectiles and quality power and wads don't come cheap...

I don't think your going to save a million dollars, but you will get loads worth millions in the performance category.

I been tinkering with rifle, shot shells since 1971, no expert, just love shooting. 

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

would you like me to test fire your product

If you want to drive up to Cherry Ridge to sample some of the Haskell Munitions Company's best when I start making them, you're always welcome!

Beer is free afterwards if you drink homebrew.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Reloading will never save you money. What it will do is give you the most accurate Ammo for your Rifle, your choice of Bullets, and the satisfaction of knowing there will never be an Ammo shortage at your house. It's a Hobby and lots of fun. The first and most important thing in reloading is organization. You will need a designated space in a cool dry place to keep your supplies and do your work. Don't buy a kit. You will be replacing half the stuff with better products. Top of the line is Dillon, Lyman, Redding, and RCBS. I use cheap single stage Lee Press, RCBS Dies, And an assortment of tools from Foster, Lyman, and Redding. I am what is known in the reloading world as a Wildcat.  I am not satisfied with off the shelf calibers. So I make up my own. lol. Today I formed some 20 Practical Brass in anticipation of a barrel on order. I took a .223 case, and necked it down to .20 caliber. So I will be shooting a .204 32gr Berger Bullet at about 4200FPS. Talk about fun. Wildcat rounds cannot be  bought of a shelf. You must form the Brass yourself.

I buy a lot of stuff from Midway. There is a lot to buy. Go slow. Start with one Caliber. I use a de capping Die to knock out the Primers first. Then you need to clean it. I use Stainless Steel Pins in a Tumbler with a wet solution. Brass comes out looking brand new even the Primer Pockets. Then you need to run them through a Sizing Die. Full Length or Neck sizing. I neck size everything but AR Ammo. Then you need to trim the Brass to length. .223 is 1.750 for example. Then you need to Chamfer and Debur the Necks. Then stick in your Primers. After all this you are ready to add powder and a Bullet  of your choice. LOL The things you DO NOT want to go cheap on are your Calipers and Scale. Seating your Bullets and Charges being exactly the same are crucial for accurate Ammo. Think of a Bullet like a Muzzleloading Rifle. Consistency makes for accuracy. I can't remember when it was that I bought the last box of Factory Ammo. I am anal with my reloading. I weigh every charge and caliper every piece of brass as I form and trim. But when I am done that Ammo is the most accurate for that particular Rifle.

Hook just sold an entire setup for 225 dollars. The Press he was selling alone cost more than that. Everything was there that I could see from the photo. Even a Bullet Puller. Incredible deal. Like I said you will never really save money. But it's a great Hobby and very rewarding when you start shooting one little ragged bug hole group at 100 yards

Sent from my flip phone with the big buttons so I can see them

Get the oldest printed manual you can find. You want one from the era that people took personal responsibilty for there actions. New manuals are so laden down with safety the tech is hard to find or understand.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.