IGNORED

I have some disturbing news.

GhostBear

The full moon will fall right in the middle of this years rut!!! So look to see rutting activity to take place at night, this I'm sure, will spark conversation about the dreaded "Trickle rut" since daytime activity will be reduced due to a full, and waning gibbous moon. While there is some activity during daylight, most of that will occur when most hunters are out to lunch, as it'll happen around 12:00-2:00 pm. But be warned! With the full moon falling in the second week of November, most area bucks will be in lock down and breeding mode, as the full moon triggers a great many does into estrous.

So, plan accordingly...................you have been warned!!!!! Mwahahahahahaha!

P.s., I'll be out this afternoon to hunt this dreaded hunters moon we have this evening, will be in stand by noon, hope to see somthing show up in the 2:00 to 3:00 pm window.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

I have never shot a mature rut buck in the morning in my life. Most mature bucks I've shot in the rut have been between 10-2. Shot a few late afternoon. If all day sits are too much for some, don't be afraid to sleep late and get in your stand at 9am or so. regardless of moon, my theory has always been that bucks are running hard at night and need a break usually in morning. After resting up some, they will start searching again late morning.

I know a lot of people can't do it but if conditions are right all day sits are well worth it, not only during the rut but also during the other seasons. At times I like getting in around 9 am or so with the climber and sitting the rest of the day, especially with areas that have a lot of pressure at times

Edited by Silver Belly62

Yup Sleep in Late eat a good breakfast use the bathroom :lookaround:  and be in the stand by 9 am and sit till dark.  I do have to admit its a lot easier to put the time in the stand when your on a good property and know there are goods bucks or the possibility of good bucks being there.   

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈

the weather isn't the best either we got another heat spell coming....I have not been excited at all this season.nice bucks during EAB now nada I haven't seen much to write home about....more so my season why consist of trying to get the mrs to have good hunts a doe or 2 and maybe a buck

Well? Went in at 11:30 and met two guys as they were coming out, not good I rarely see anyone hunting there, but since the state in their infinite wisdom chose to cut a hiking trail back into where I hunt that dead ends into some private land, I'm starting to have company. Talked with them and found they weren't hunting where I was, I got in my stand at 11:40, by 12:00 I had three yutzes walk in on me from the private side, the first time that's ever happened in the almost ten years I've hunted there, let them know I was there and they went back out the way they came, as a result I saw bupkus, nada, zilch, nothing, since they cut that damn hiking trail 3 years ago the hunting has dropped off, and now it's getting crowded, but hey? If I'm not seeing deer, neither are they! Lol, that spot was a sweet honey hole on public land, now it's gone the way of the dinosaur. Bummer. Shot the buck in my avatar there too.

Edited by GhostBear

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

Well? Went in at 11:30 and met two guys as they were coming out, not good I rarely see anyone hunting there, but since the state in their infinite wisdom chose to cut a hiking trail back into where I hunt that dead ends into some private land, I'm starting to have company. Talked with them and found they weren't hunting where I was, I got in my stand at 11:40, by 12:00 I had three yutzes walk in on me from the private side, the first time that's ever happened in the almost ten years I've hunted there, let them know I was there and they went back out the way they came, as a result I saw bupkus, nada, zilch, nothing, since they cut that damn hiking trail 3 years ago the hunting has dropped off, and now it's getting crowded, but hey? If I'm not seeing deer, neither are they! Lol, that spot was a sweet honey hole on public land, now it's gone the way of the dinosaur. Bummer. Shot the buck in my avatar there too.

Interesting that you say that.  I was having the same thoughts about hunting in Zone 3, specifically around Ringwood and Wanaque.  All of those forests have hiking trains carved through them.  I use them like anybody else, but the deer population has been sparse through Norvin Green, Wanaque WMA (former), and some other areas.  I was thinking that the deer have gone all nocturnal in the area because of all of the daily foot traffic.  Those trails are heavily used.

I have absolutely nothing against hiking, I do it myself and enjoy it tremendously.  But I can't help but think that the access that's been carved into the forests has an adverse affect on the wildlife by forcing the forest to go nocturnal.  I don't have any science behind this, just a lot of deer on my trail cams at night and others hit or miss during the day--some daylight days have no deer.

I wonder if there's a study on this out there...

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Interesting that you say that.  I was having the same thoughts about hunting in Zone 3, specifically around Ringwood and Wanaque.  All of those forests have hiking trains carved through them.  I use them like anybody else, but the deer population has been sparse through Norvin Green, Wanaque WMA (former), and some other areas.  I was thinking that the deer have gone all nocturnal in the area because of all of the daily foot traffic.  Those trails are heavily used.

I have absolutely nothing against hiking, I do it myself and enjoy it tremendously.  But I can't help but think that the access that's been carved into the forests has an adverse affect on the wildlife by forcing the forest to go nocturnal.  I don't have any science behind this, just a lot of deer on my trail cams at night and others hit or miss during the day--some daylight days have no deer.

I wonder if there's a study on this out there...

the woods I hunt in norvin green are loaded with hiking trails,i find just the opposite the deer have adapted well to hikers and a few of my best spots are directly on hiking trails and make for a easy walk in and out,the area I hunt by my house has been overtaking by mountain bike trails and it did take a few years for them to get use to the the bikers they tend to yell a lot for some reason,

the woods I hunt in norvin green are loaded with hiking trails,i find just the opposite the deer have adapted well to hikers and a few of my best spots are directly on hiking trails and make for a easy walk in and out,the area I hunt by my house has been overtaking by mountain bike trails and it did take a few years for them to get use to the the bikers they tend to yell a lot for some reason,

Really?  That's a very interesting observation.  I obviously thought the opposite would happen.

Maybe I should be hunting closer to the trails versus further away from them.  I tend to stay away from them for the aforementioned reason.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I found that areas that see a larger hiking presence, the deer get used to it, and over time don't pay any attention to them so long as they stay on the trails, my area is different in that this trail is new, only 3 years, the deer never saw anyone back the, just me now there's horseback riders bike riders and day hikers in there all summer and into the warmer parts of fall, hence the deer have moved thier activity to early and very late, plus there's a few new hunters moving in on me so that just adds pressure, they si ply just don't move like they used to, the sign is still there, they just aren't moving much.