IGNORED

Back to track today **Update**

mattg1500

Shot my first bear yesterday around 430pm. Broadside,34yds,complete pass thru. Not much blood on arrow but yellowish brown slime. No blood where he was when I shot but 10yds away there was a spot. followed small spots for about 85yds before backing out. Also had big clump of what looked like chewed corn about 50yds in, I guess stomach shot. Contacted trackers with dogs but headin outto look today. Sucks, feel shitty

Edited by mattg1500

Not sure posting" hey I shot my bear and couldnt find it" are great posts for hunters in these viral days. Im not saying its wrong, but it is reality that perception will play a part in whether we keep our archery season in the future. Im reading thru the posts and I see a bunch of replies on other threads about popping tires, taking a deuce at baitsites and all of this stuff. Again, everyone has the right to say whatever they want. Im not usually one for political correctness. However, when it comes to protecting our future rights of hunting, sometimes somethings are better left unsaid.

Not sure posting" hey I shot my bear and couldnt find it" are great posts for hunters in these viral days. Im not saying its wrong, but it is reality that perception will play a part in whether we keep our archery season in the future. Im reading thru the posts and I see a bunch of replies on other threads about popping tires, taking a deuce at baitsites and all of this stuff. Again, everyone has the right to say whatever they want. Im not usually one for political correctness. However, when it comes to protecting our future rights of hunting, sometimes somethings are better left unsaid.

I get what your saying but its not "i shot a bear and went home for a beer while it limps around" i made a shot that felt good to me and unfortunately wound up being marginal. after waiting 2hrs i started to track then decided to back out instead of ush the animal. i also took off of work today and contacted a tracker with dogs from ubnj and all for a bear thats maybe 200lbs. but its my trophy, i decided i was going to harvest this animal and i am going to do whatever it takes to recover it. to me that says more positive about hunters than not. antis will be antis no matter what we do or say. posting pics of harvests will irritate them as much as seeing you eating at a diner in camo will, they are missing a gene

You sound like a very ethical hunter. Most post was by no means an attack on your ability, or your dedication to recovery after the shot. I definitely know that not finding a hit animal right away sucks, plain and simple. I was just trying to wake up guys about everthing they post. Sometimes calling up a fellow hunter to vent about an unrecovered animal might help instead of fueling the antis in our first archery bear season. Btw- im off today as well. Pm me if you want help looking for that bear or any other animal anytime. That goes for anyone reading this. Im serious. If im available, I have no problem lending a hand.

Contacted Darren Doran last night after my gut shot on a bear. He responded to me earyl this morning and was willing to leave work early to help track with his dog Theo. It was near to watch Theo work and he picked up the scent pretty quick. We found my bear on a creek bank about 300yds away from where I shot it in about an hour. Unfortunately it was dined on by a larger bear and or coyotes and the whole 1 side is gone. It tore me up to not find it last night but I am glad to have recovered it. Shot was about 12in behind front leg and broke a rib in and out. Check in estimated 120lb not big by any means but I am proud for a first. I learned a lot this year and will be better prepared and more educated next year. Thanks to everyone who offered tips and spots, I had an exciting first bear hunt

20161013_191219.jpg

20161013_195758.jpg

At least you recovered it.  It's good to see people put the effort in!  It probably got chewed up by yotes.  I shot a yote about 16 years ago in Blairstown.

Congrats on the bear and the recovery.  Glad you learned some things from the hunt to make the next one even better.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.