IGNORED

youth shotguns

allmann

My nephew(10) just got his shotgun license. I gave him the smallest shotgun I own, a 20g 870 with 13.5 LOP. He shoots it fine at stationary targets, but has a problem getting the shotgun to fit right for follow through. What have you guys found to be the best youth guns out there. Also would you recommend that he gets a semi or pump. I learned on single and doubles and did not move up til I bought new guns. If anyone has one for sale I would also be interested. Thank you in advance

I would look at getting a youth stock put on it.  That'll make a world of difference.  Having the right sized stock helps with that swing during a follow-through.  There are various kinds, including ones that have thicker screw-in butts to accommodate a growing kid and frequent resizings.

Something like this would help.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remington-reg-Synthetic-Shotgun-Stock-and-Forend-Black/706706.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FCQ_pagesize%3D40%26CQ_search%3Dyouth%252bshotgun%252bstock%26CQ_st%3Db%26categoryId%3D734095080

That was from a quick search, I would bring it to gun shop and get him sized for the right stock.  Your 870 is perfect to learn on.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

If you want another gun rather than re-stock it, I went the Mossberg 500 20 GA route.  I picked mine up and it came with a scope, smooth barrel, and a rifled barrel.  One screw and you can change the barrels in about 3 minutes.

I think I paid maybe $250 for it brand new maybe $300.  They also come in youth models with a smaller stock.  It's a pump, which, IMHO, is a good gun for a kid to start with.

Once the kids outgrow it, put an adult stock on it and blast tree rats with it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I bought my daughter a 20 gauge Mossberg "Bantum" Semi-Auto youth model when she started out....The gun is a shooter, has interchangeable chokes, and the recoil is perfect for youth hunters due to the gas operated system.

It has since been passed down to my son who loves it at 11 years old...I would suggest this gun be on the option list to check out.... :up:

What is the intended use?  Where are you located?

I have both a stoger over under youth 20 and also a mossberg 500 youth gun with the adjustable Knox stock

Biggest thing with the youth guns is that it puts the forend within reach of a smaller shooter --  A youth gun is worth every penny for a kid who's serious

My son is grown out of them but I still keep them -- they are fun too shoot when just playing around on the skeet range --

they are also great to have around when introducing new shooters to shotgunning -- Women, kids, smaller adults all can use them to get their 1st dusted clay bird

he will be hunting everything from duck to deer. I am in lacey.

My wife is only 4'11" and she enjoyed shooting and before we had kids expressed that she would like to pheasant hunt with me and our GSP, so it wouldn't go unused til our daughters reach the age to hunt. 

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on the child's size, you may want to stick with a single shot.....I've got an NEF "Pardner" in 20 gauge which is the smallest shotgun on the market. Got it for my daughters when they started hunting....now it just collects dust as my youngest is 19

lacy is co.promised mostly of pines it is the pines lololol BTW I see alot of deer out there at night during my deliveries.them single and double barrels kick too much for a youth.Imo I'd stick with a 28inch vent barrel and a 870 or 500 a heavier gun the better..you don't need a slug gun out in the pines plus slugs kick more then buckshot