IGNORED

So who's got cell cams ?

Ms Grit

I've been finding them on e-bay for under $100 including shipping and so far I have 2 of them out in the woods.  Nothing fancy, but I have the ScoutGuard SG580 and the ScoutGuard SG880.  I absolutely LOVE having my pictures sent to my phone within 2 minutes of the camera taking the picture.  Since I have already walked in on Mr BooBoo who didn't want to leave, I feel much better having put one in that particular spot.  HOWEVER, they are a MAJOR PIA to set up and get working properly.  My 3rd is on it's way.  Anybody have experience with these that could help shorten my set up time? Each one, I've actually set up 5 of them for me and friends now, have taken about  3 hours to get working properly, and that's just crazy.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

The ScoutGuard cell cams only work with AT&T sim cards. For each camera, I got the sim card for free, signed up for the .25 per minute Pay As You Go plan, but since the camera isn't really a phone, the .25 per mimute is irrelevant. I then added the feature for unlimited texts for $19.99 per month. No contract to sign. As long as I pay the $19.99 each month, the sim card remains active abd the camera (which is assigned a phone number) sends picture text messages to my cell phone. When huntjng season is over, I can stop paying and the camera will work as a regular trail cam by capturing the photos and puttjng them on a sd card. Next July or August I can start new with a new sim card abd new phone number for the camera. The ones on ebay start the bidding at $79.99 and shipping is either 7.99 or 12.99. I just got another one tonight for the opening bid of 79.99. If someone wants to steal it 1) it wont break the bank and 2) Their picture will be sent to me.

"Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

NJ State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs Member
NRA Life Member

NWTF Women In The Outdoors Member

UBNJ Member

I have a covert and that took maybe 10 minutes to set up, my only issue was if I didnt refill my pay as you go on time I had to drive to the cam and turn it off then on again to get it to send. I just ordered a Bushnell cell cam thats supposed to be just open box, download app 12AAs and ready to go. Should be here next week. I did watch the youtube vid from covert before and during setup that made it simple also

I would love to get one or two at that price. Question - I guess you need different phone numbers for each camera??? So its $20 per month PER CAMERA right? If I have two cameras, its really $40 a month?

I would more seriously consider it if I didn't think it would get stolen within a week. How are the mounts on them? Think you can put it on a mount and angle it down so it can be hung 15' up a tree? I made one of these DIY mounts and worked very well with my Moultrie (which promptly got stolen when I moved it to another tree on private property but didn't hang it high - just strapped it 3 feel off the ground). Any more cameras I put out are going up high.