IGNORED

what to look for in a good "don't get stuck in the woods" truck?

I second the "Winch" as the best bet -- you could add that to your truck now and be able to unstick yourself -- I would never put a new truck in a situation where it may get stuck 

You do not need a warn winch -- Warn makes great stuff but you pay for it -- you are not hardcore wheeling

A winch from harbor freight gets great ratings -- they are just a little slower -- they do not break the bank

A manual shift into 4 wheel drive is the most reliable along with manual hubs -- get out and lock the hubs at the trailhead and drive in 2WD till you need 4WD 

I'm pretty sure I heard that Jeep is putting out a pickup again real soon...

Wow all the toyota cool aid must have been left at that other "site". I would look at a f150 with the 5.0. Cheaper and easy to repair than most engines. No turbos and what not.

my chevy silverado 2012 to be exact had to jump start a newer Toyota pickup today as a matter of fact Edited by smoking gun

all depends on what you want.alot of newer vehicles get pretty good gas mileage anymore even the v8s.if your spending money on a new truck I don't recommend beating it up though going thru mud and what not.if it's a older trucks say 80s or early 90s go with a old ford over dodge and chevy.I had one of themy old ford Rangers and a bronco them things where goats I beat the piss out of them

For woods/hills, ground clearance and a short wheel base is what you want to look for. A heavily lifted truck will still get stuck if it's too long and the apex of the hill mound or what ever you're going over is to short and sharp it gets you bottomed out. NO running boards, they like to grab stuff and get hung up too. Not sure what you consider a gas guzzler but the modern V8 isn't bad at all, and really wouldn't make a HUGE difference over a V6 and probably not all that much more than an inline 6 either.    

Did you experience anything in particular that has you leaning Ford over Dodge or Chevy, or just a preference?

Chevy generally has a cheaper body.....meaning they dont last as well...the engines were fine but bodies were crap.....Ive had 2 Dodges and the gas engine  is good so far but not a lot of power.....the dodge diesel had injector problems and that killed it....the Fords  were pretty flawless and Ive had 3 F350's one being the current one i use which is a diesel...I am a landscaper and plow snow and almost never wash the trucks and dont care if they get scratched etc...mechanically the maintenance was about the same....oh and I prefer automatic for plowing snow but have had both manual and auto, chevy and clutches were not good together.....this probably only confused you more.....

Edited by MRMCR

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

I had an 05 Ram lifted w/ 35 muds and buried it in the mud down in Ga, now I have a 14 F150 w/ level and 34s and buried it in the mud in Ga. What to look for is a winch or hunt with a friend that has a winch. Brand argument will get you no where, everyone has their stories and opinions on why 1 sucks more than the other. What I look for in a truck is:

• Limited slip or locking differential 
  • 4wd lock, the ability to keep it in 4wd not wait until wheels slip and then the truck decides to lock the fronts or not
  • Power, not massive power but enough to turn a good set of AT or MT tires and be able to clean them out and not just bog( Im not a fan of 4 or 5 cyl! sorry)
  • Good tires, my ford came with P rated WTF! A good tread pattern and stiff sidewalls
  • Price, dont cheap out but dont get in over your head where if you decide you need larger or different tires or a level/lift or winch you cant get it because your $700mo pmt is due.

Good luck go drive as many as you can and drive them like you would dont be worried because theres a salesman next to you. Trucks arent cheap anymore

I also think a used tahoe would fit the bill. My wife had a 2001 with a 5.3L. Ran it up to 190k without problems. Gave it to a friends son who regular drives it to Canada. It was a tank in the snow.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

MRMCR agreed on Chevy. I have a 2004 Tahoe with 240k on it but the body started rusting around 100k. Love the truck but the body stuff is def crappy.

New Chevys no better? Been looking for a 2014 Silverado.

Maybe time to expand the search to Fords too.

Btw if you ever have a 8' Fisher Plow that will fit MM2 you're looking to get rid of let me know. Don't need anything in great condition just for plowing my driveway area and the private road for my neighbors and I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned a Jeep cj......great truck....

1979 Bronco   fantastic.

1985 Gmc 1500 4x4       outstanding in mud,snow

2002 Ram Quad Full bed.  great in snow and mud.

All trucks can and will get stuck in some conditions.

You have to know your own truck with it given limitations at the time to avoid getting hung up.

Tires are everything, with limiting slip rears, and when and were not to go.

If you do enough off road running you will get stuck and figuire out were you crossed the line, anyone who says different is full of **it.

NRA Life Member
"From My Cold Dead Hands"                          I'm all for Gun Control...I use both Hands.

4x4 low and good tires will always be your best bet but just in case a good winch for insurance. A shovel and 4x4 buried in the sand works fine for pulling you out. Always air down on the beach. My buddies crew cab diesel sinks like a weight in the sand if he doesn't air down.

...... I then found the 2017 Honda Ridgeline and it checks almost every box I'm looking for - except its AWD (not a true 4WD) and its ground clearance is lowest in its class so that has me worried (whole purpose is not to get stuck in those ruts and puddles!). But I'm reading it does pretty good off-road, and for what I need it for (dirt roads on WMAs and state forests) I think it should be good enough. But it's so new, I'm afraid what problems are going to crop up, and they are being sold at or close to MSRP. Would have to wait until end of December or even next year to see what kind of deals can be had on one. ......

FWIW.... My nephew owns a Ridgeline. We've taken it into Assunpink many times. It handled those water/mud/snow- filled ruts without a problem. I was kinda surprised.

I don't know what tires are standard/optional from the factory. He had Goodyear Dura-Trac tires on it .... which have a rather aggressive tread, though not true "off road" tires.

On the roads & NJ Turnpike its carlike .... hardly feels like a truck to me. (But, I'm still driving a 2002 F350 4X4. lol)

As far as unforeseen problems with a redesigned model.... as I'm sure you know, Honda is one of the brands that you have least to worry about.

Also FWIW .... Consumer Reports is doing extensive testing of the new Ridgeline now.

Take all this with a grain of salt .... I'm one of the "idiots" from that other site. :eek:

Good luck. I know, its a big decision.