IGNORED

what to look for in a good "don't get stuck in the woods" truck?

I want a new truck - so I am soliciting thoughts. If you don't want to read the whole thing - here's the question:

What should I look at so that I won't get stuck on the dirt roads around here, but isn't a gas-guzzling behemoth?

Feel free to discuss what things I should look for in a truck, or just talk about what truck you have, what you like/dislike about it. I need all the tips I can get on what to look for - it's the first truck I'll be buying and I've no idea what to look for (my current truck was gifted to me from dad - thanks dad! :up: )

I have an '01 Ford Ranger right now, but its a 2WD and I already got stuck in it twice (once in the snow, once in the sand - luckily, I wasn't too far in the middle of the woods when it happened). I love this truck - it's a good truck for what I need it for, has a nice cap, and only 66k miles on original engine! If it was 4WD I would keep it. But I want to be able to drive through the WMAs and Wharton and places like that and not worry that I'm going to get stuck. I'm not going to do any serious off-roading over rocks and fording rivers - just get me over the ruts, puddles, and sand in our state woods. This is the prime number one reason why I'm looking for a new truck - the "don't get stuck in the woods" truck.

But, I also don't need or want a full-sized truck. I don't want a gas-guzzling 13mpg beast, I won't be pulling any trailers, I will still mainly drive it on the pavement. Will be used for the occasional Home Depot trip, for throwing hunting/fishing/crabbing gear in the bed, along with the occasional bushel of crabs, dead geese and turkey (and hopefully deer!), and, as I say, I won't be doing any serious off-roading but I just need to get through the sand, ruts, and puddles you find on the WMA and state forest roads.

Not looking to buy used - probably going to go with a new 2016 or 2017 because I plan on keeping this truck until it dies (I usually buy new and keep vehicles for over a decade or more).

I've been doing research and there seems to be a few in the midsize truck market that are the more highly rated.

I originally was just looking at Tacoma because of its reputation, but it's not a perfect truck and there are some issues with it. It's great off-road (one of the leaders in the midsize market), but gas mileage not good, and word is it has a rough ride even on pavement; and when I looked at one, I didn't like the room in the back seats even in its full cab.

I then found the 2017 Honda Ridgeline and it checks almost every box I'm looking for - except its AWD (not a true 4WD) and its ground clearance is lowest in its class so that has me worried (whole purpose is not to get stuck in those ruts and puddles!). But I'm reading it does pretty good off-road, and for what I need it for (dirt roads on WMAs and state forests) I think it should be good enough. But it's so new, I'm afraid what problems are going to crop up, and they are being sold at or close to MSRP. Would have to wait until end of December or even next year to see what kind of deals can be had on one.

Here's some write-ups from pickuptrucks.com that review some of the top models including GMC, Toyota, Chevy, Honda:

* http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08/whats-the-best-midsize-pickup-for-2016.html

* http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08/2016-midsize-pickup-challenge-what-the-judges-said.html

* Their write-up on the off-road tests: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/08/2016-midsize-pickup-challenge-off-road-performance.html

Anyway. That's it. Thoughts?

I'll be keeping an eye on this topic!  I'm in the market for a new truck as well, been looking at the Chevy Silvarado.

You're main requirement is you want to be on the smaller side (light duty, less gas usage, etc) but still 4WD and adequate offroad.

I think the articles you linked illustrate some good comparisons, but a lot of buying a vehicle comes down to what we like look wise as much as it does shear functionality.

Realistically for general off road (WMA roads, fields, etc) not counting some insanely deep mud or snow, I think any of those would fit the bill, even with AWD.

I think where you'd lose an advantage having AWD is in more "extreme" off road conditions where you need better traction at the lower gears...that is where the traditional 4WD would shine.

So as long as you don't get crazy, you'll probably be fine you just wouldn't want to go steam rolling through a giant mud puddle not knowing it's depth...but chances are even with 4WD you aren't doing that.

I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota that I am going to drive into the ground.  It has a 318 V8 and a high axle ratio to get me power where I need it.

Here are some things to consider when buying a truck.

There are a couple of different types of 4-wheel drive:  part time and full time; as well as 4-high and 4-low.  Each has its place.

If you are going to drive off-road, IMHO, it is best to have part-time 4-wheel and also have 4-low available.  The difference between part time and full time 4-wheel is that in part time the front tires spin at the same rate and do not have a differential.  Great on uneven, loose surfaces that you find off-road because the two front tires spin at the same rate and will equally pull the front end.  You can actually feel the difference.  When you're driving with part-time on and turn on a dirt road, the truck isn't steering in that direction, the front end is pulling you in that direction.  4-low is important because of the torque you'll get from it.  Getting stuck in mud with 4-high is an easy way to burn out your transmission as you spin your tires.  4-low give you more power and traction to get out of those situations without spinning your tires.

I've taken my truck off-road frequently and done my share of stupid things with it.  However, I've never, ever been stuck.  I've always been the guy to pull other people out of messes.

On the downside, the best mileage I get is 13MPG.  It's a truck.  I wanted a powerful engine with a high axle ratio, so I am paying for the privilege.  It has 180K miles on it, and like I mentioned above, I am going to drive it until it's illegal to drive on NJ roads.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

stay away from vacuum or electronic 4x4 controls.  manual 4x4 shifts are more reliable.  i had a ford ranger that was vacuum controlled and the vacuum hoses or whatever kept either leaking or braking all together and i got stuck a few times. go to put it into 4x4 and the only wheels turning were the rear.  i had a dodge dakota with a v6 and manual 4x4 control that i would still have if it didn't rust away on me.  i currently own a ford F150 that has been ok.  haven't been stuck with it yet.  I'm not talking manual transmission with a clutch.  Automatic trans is OK.  It's the shifter that you use to engage 4 wheel drive that i'm talking about.

Edited by SxSshooter

Myself If i was in the position I would keep my truck if i liked it for everyday driving and getting around and get  a good used jeep or a tacoma for hunting..take this from a very experienced person who has over the last 30 years had a lot of new and high dollar used vehicles the woods are no place for a new or nice used vehicle.just saying 

I've owned Dodge Toyota and GMC pkups.All treated me well. The Dodge 2500 burned too much gas. The Toyota is still running with 270,000 miles on it. I keep it on the farm, and off road. My Sierra is a 2007 with 165,000 miles on it and it's running strong. I also trailer my boat with it and it gets good gas mileage. I vote for the GMC Sierra as my favorite.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

OK, My 2 cents ...

Must have a 4x4.

HH has given you some very good advice on types of transmission/transfer case advice to look for.

SxS gave great advice regarding vacuum / electronic controls.

Do not forget to seriously consider  getting a warn winch with a long cable.

Also look into getting the Pull Pal land anchor.  Reason is: many times a tree is just not close enough to attach your winch cable, or nothing is available to hook onto.

th.jpeg

th-2.jpeg

th-1.jpeg

pullpal14a.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

131_0807_07_z+sand_dunes_truck_prep+pull_pal_anchor.jpg

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Ford F350 4x4 short bed....I d say diesel but that may make it too heavy for the woods........anyway Ive had em all and I would only buy a Ford now.....but do also  have a Dodge and a Chevy currently.....

Edited by MRMCR

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Ford F350 4x4 short bed....I d say diesel but that may make it too heavy for the woods........anyway Ive had em all and I would only buy a Ford now.....but do also  have a Dodge and a Chevy currently.....

Did you experience anything in particular that has you leaning Ford over Dodge or Chevy, or just a preference?

Tires...ratios....power...etc. Are all good things to consider, but take advice from a trapper....

It's what you carry with you that will get you unstuck.

A feed scoop has gotten me out of deep snow. A 16" rip of plywood has gotten me out of mud. A spackle bucket of sand has gotten me off ice.

If you do get a winch...a 4 foot length of log chain and some rebar stakes has pulled my quad up a muddy incline by driving the stakes though the links on an angle and pulling on the chain so the stakes work against each other.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Pull Pal land anchor looks great! But they look really pricey. I might put it on my wish list, though. After my first experience at being stuck, I realized how bad it sucks when that happens, so I got tow hooks installed on the front and back (which helped getting me unstuck that second time!). I also bought a come-along, a hi-lift jack with its off-road package (just so I could get those connectors so you can use it as a winch), some straps and chains, and recovery tracks (which turned out to be useless - just got sucked under the tires and bent when trying to get out of snow).

So, as you can tell, I'm not fooling around - I am not getting stranded in the woods  :D which is why I want to get rid of my 2WD.

Pull Pal land anchor looks great! But they look really pricey. 

Well let me give you a real life scenario.

It's 7:00PM on the beach and you been surf fishing all day.

The tide rolling in real quick. Your tires are stuck in the sand. Spinning and spinning, digging deeper and deeper.

Your shovel and jack only dig deeper into the sand.

Your winch has nothing to hold onto. No real time to burry your spare tire into the sand.

Remember that tide rolling closer and closer toward you.

Is the money you saved for peace of mind, emergency insurance, and humiliation …. really worth it?

Not for me, I spent the money. Peace of mind and confidence I will get out.

th-1.jpeg

th-2.jpeg

th-3.jpeg

th-4.jpeg

th-5.jpeg

th.jpeg

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Wow all the toyota cool aid must have been left at that other "site". I would look at a f150 with the 5.0. Cheaper and easy to repair than most engines. No turbos and what not.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.