IGNORED

Deer Population

If Dan Roberts reports on NJ101.5 that the deer herd has been reduced over the last 10 years or so by design.

Then why is he telling us we're not seeing deer because of too many acorns??????

I understand deer management, but if you want hunters to slay deer so we can reduce the herd, then pay us!

We want quality hunting in NJ, and still no one is listening to the sportsmen, NO one!!!!

APR the division wants to do away with it and yet it's still very popluar with the sportsmen, the division just doesn't know how to make it work!

You can't save bucks for 4 months a year then kill em in the last month.

I went to every deer committee meeting and we were still sold a bill of goods.

We all agreed on 6 proposals, the division gave us one with stipulations!

What do you think?????

The herd is way down from what it was years ago, but the population is up in areas where hunting isn't allowed or is very limited....I work in Woodbridge, 20 years ago never saw deer, now I see many everyday, a few 150" plus, same for bergen county

Always the trouble with APR vs age classing deer. APR is easy but flawed, age classing is difficult.

My biggest gripes have always been unlimited antlerless and baiting on public lands.

Never belonged there if the intention was to maximize long term hunting opportunity for the sportsmen who paid for that land.

Unlimited antlerless was meant to drastically reduce deer populations where they were overabundant.

Baiting was meant to draw deer out of areas that needed deer reduction into areas they could be killed.

Neither of those apply to the majority of the public land out there.

I think if the state is not going to listen, then its up to us sportsmen to limit the amount we shoot. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I haven't shot more then a couple of does in one season in many years. I limit myself to one doe a year.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I agree completely.  In fact, I've abandoned even hunting EAB in the early season.  I don't even pursue it because I'm not willing to shoot a doe in the areas I hunt just so I can shoot a buck I'm after.  Their numbers are too low, so I'll just wait until later when the regular season opens.  And ironically, I've started to favor shooting a buck over a doe in many areas because the area can withstand a loss of a buck better than a doe (hoping they'll rebound).  Pretty crazy we have to reach that point to hunt our way (while hunting legally) to do the job the division isn't.

I live in Cranford and all of Union County from my point of view is loaded.....its like the deer know Union County is a sanctuary county.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

APR's are not necessarily the best way to manage a buck population...unless you have a glut of tags available, then the may be the best you have. Until NJ reduces the number of buck tags to 1, or maybe 2, APR's are better than anything else we are doing, and need to be continued.

I'm personally so sick and tired of the BS that comes from some people at the Division, and most of the F&G Council, they make me nauseous every time they speak, seriously, I feel the same about them as I do Liberals like Clinton and Obama because they are just as dishonest, and damaging to what we value. Deer hunters have to begin to realize that these people are not doing good things for us. They are to hunters what Democrats are to the African American population in America; destructive, yet African Americans continue to support Democrats just like hunters continue to blindly support the current members of the Council,, and employees of the Division. Hunters need a movement along the lines of Black Lives Matter, and take it to a Council meeting to make sure we're heard, or those useless people in charge will continue to screw us. I know that sounds harsh but honestly, it's no more harsh than the damage they have done to what we love. 

As for me right now, if I hadn't bought a NJ license last winter for winter bow, I wouldn't be buying one this year. I have good places in Ohio, Pa and Maine to spend my hunting time, and while in NJ, I'll just go fishing.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

APR's are not necessarily the best way to manage a buck population...unless you have a glut of tags available, then the may be the best you have. Until NJ reduces the number of buck tags to 1, or maybe 2, APR's are better than anything else we are doing, and need to be continued.

Two wrongs doesn't make a right.  You are correct, we have too many buck tags, one or two would be much better.  But using APR only makes the problem worse.  Where APR are implemented the illegal kill of sub-legal bucks sky rockets.  Young bucks are not saved, they are killed illegally.

Worse than the illegal kill is high grading.  Younger bucks with the best antler genetics are killed as yearlings while bucks with inferior genetics are protected.  Over time this has a huge impact on the buck population.  

Edited by Rusty

High grading is a big issue, I was part of a management hunt for 14years, the APR was 6 or better, I've seen year old 10's come off there as aged by biologists, as well as some bruiser two year olds, by 2010, I was seeing 4,5and 6 year old Y bucks doing all the breeding and legal bucks where harder to come by. I started that hunt in '96 and ended in 2010.

As for the deer number around by me, it's been a long time since I've seen this many! It's been a bumper fawn crop around here! I've seen more deer, Bucks included, than I've seen in the last two years! I'm in Morris county.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.