IGNORED

Democrats and your cyber security

Haskell_Hunter

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/15/technology/nsa-spy-tools-stolen/index.html?iid=ob_lockedrail_bottomlarge

Yes, that's right, foreign hackers have hacked the NSA and are reselling the stolen hacker tools on the Internet to whomever has a big enough stolen credit card to pay them.

When discussing politics with your Democrat friends, always, always, always bring up the fact that our National Information Security has been under consistent attack by foreign nationals and had more breaches under Obama than all other presidents combined (he's really dominating that whole "more than all other presidents combined" metric...but I digress...).  And anyone who is voting for Hillary is supporting a clear and present danger to our National Information Security.

Hillary "you mean wipe that server like with a cloth" Clinton is such a bonehead when it comes to information security she chose convenience over security as her motivation to set up a private email server.  You should expect even more boneheaded decisions when it comes to infosec.

There is a third world war going on right now and it's not fought with guns.  It is a computer cyber war between Russia, China, and the US (as well as some smaller nations--Iran and Israel to name two), and our potential commander in chief has been doing good work for the other side.  The DNC is also to blame for their lapses in infosec and subsequent breaches.

Do not trust a Democrat with your data because once they have it, the Russians will too.  And the Russians will have no problem selling/sharing it with anyone else.

Just a friendly reminder from your local nerd.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I saw this last night on hackernews, unreal...scary to think what's out there in hands it shouldn't be...from our national security information to these soon to be auctioned NSA tools.  Ugly times coming, and while I'm hopeful it will expose some of the drastic issues, I have little hope our current government will do anything to fix those issues.  It will be very interesting to see what tooling the NSA had/has to "invade privacy" of our citizens and how that will now be used against them and this administration, both from a media perspective and a national security compromise aspect.

Also remember this is the same government that is asking for backdoors into computer companies' products so they can make snooping easier.  Imagine if they were allowed to do that and then some hacker organization stole those master keys?  We'd all be permanently at the mercy of hackers.  We'd all have to replace all of our computer gear (mobile phones, embedded systems like the ones found in cars, etc.) more than likely at our own cost, due to government stupidity.

I've said it from the beginning, and I'll say it until I'm dead:  There is absolutely no reason the government should force companies to make it easier for them to defeat their encryption.  None whatsoever, and anyone who says differently doesn't realize how terrible of an idea it is.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Just to make this a little more tangible:  http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/cybercrime-yearly-costs-107601

The cost of cybercrime and it's direct impact on the Main Street economy:  "For the U.S., the estimated $100 billion cost means 200,000 lost jobs and is almost half of the total loss for the G-8 group of Western countries."

But you have to realize that:  "One key finding is that most governments and businesses are underestimating losses."  So it's probably more than $100B and 200K jobs.

And the folks who are benefitting from this are:  "According to the report, 20 to 30 global cybercrime groups based in the former Soviet Union have “nation-state level” capacity, meaning they can overcome almost any cyberdefense. International financial crime is operating at an industrial level."

I think Hillary will try to wipe this problem clean with a cloth or just push the red Russian reset button.

If Hillary gets in office, I expect the Russians to launch an epic assault on our nation's infosec to cause an economic collapse of the US.  They probably have their own red button to push to trigger it.  We are so screwed.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Cyber security and encryption is where the money is at if youre a recent graduate and of the geeky persuausion.........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

He's an interesting cat.  Think what you want about him, but the more I did research on him and where he came from, the more I was glad I grew up decades ago.  There are things I used to do that are now federal crimes.

He and Kevin Mitnick are my two favorite outcasts.  Brilliant people, but really roughed over by the government.  Not agreeing with what these individuals did, but definitely disagreeing with what our government was/is doing to them.

Here's Mitnick's bio:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mitnick

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

Mitnick definitely got made an example of...not sure if he ever really did anything truly malicious, but they sure made it sound like he was trying to end the world.

When you wiretap the FBI and listen in on them, that'll piss them off a bit.  He also routed all of his calls through the telephone system, so one time when the traced the call, they raided a family of four sitting at their dinner table.  He also social engineered the FBI to gain access to information.  For example, since he was wiretapping them, he used their own code words to get copies of internal memos sent to him by threatening lower-ranking officials by impersonating their supervisors.

Yeah, he was made an example of because he had the feds running circles while he was the ringmaster.  

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/26/clinton-team-used-special-program-to-scrub-server-gowdy-says.html

The important part of this article is this paragraph:

Yet Gowdy said her team was using BleachBit, which is like an electronic shredder that permanently scrambles data.

In reference to the kinds of emails Clinton has claimed were private and not worth turning over, Gowdy said, “You don't use BleachBit for yoga emails, or for bridesmaids emails. When you're using BleachBit, it is something you really do not want the world to see.”

This is an incredible revelation that just came to light.

I've had to work with lawyers and such on the collection of electronic evidence for court cause supporting both the plaintiff and defense.  One thing that is always severely scrutinized are hard drives that have been erased or free hard drive space that's been erased to prevent recovery.  This is always flagged as spoliation of evidence, and usually means very bad things for the person(s) who did the erasing.  It is about as close as you can come to an admission of guilt without saying anything.

In every case that I've seen erasing declared as spoliation (which is how it is classified in the vast majority of cases), sanctions have been given to the erasing parties in the form of rulings against them, fines, and imprisonment.  The fact that NOTHING happened to Clinton or the IT guy who set up the server (who was granted immunity as a favor from Clinton because he was facing decades in prison for setting the damn server up) is a testament to how corrupt our government is today.  If you or I had done this, we'd be out tens of thousands of dollars in fines and court costs, a couple of years in prison, or most likely both.

As a career IT guy, Clinton has broken more laws and ethics by virtue of setting up this server than all of us combined.  The fact that nothing happened to her or any of her cohorts is enough of a justification for an armed revolution.  I am not advocating for that, but clearly the government has been corrupted to the point that laws do not apply to the Clintons or their cohorts.

I am once again disgusted with our government.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.