IGNORED

VPA Heads/Lower poundage setup

LPJR

Increased the head weight on son's setup and he is now shooting a 125 grain head at @48 lbs. Arrows are grouping nicely, however we were not impressed with several new fixed heads during practice sessions this summer out of his compound.  

(I have only used swackers out of my setup with great success, however would like my son to use a cut on contact head for his lower poundage).

I am on the fence now between VPA and Magnus heads. I like the fact that both can be resharpened and both get excellent reviews for strength/durability. 

Anybody have pros or cons for either out of a lower poundage setup? If I went with the VPA, I am also on the fence between the 3 blade or 2 blade.....

Today's bows are so energy efficient that a 48 lb. bow isn't a disadvantage anymore.  I know a number of people that shoot 45 - 50 lbs and get pass throughs with fixed blade heads like Muzzy and Slick Trick.

Best of luck to your son this year.    

Today's bows are so energy efficient that a 48 lb. bow isn't a disadvantage anymore.  I know a number of people that shoot 45 - 50 lbs and get pass throughs with fixed blade heads like Muzzy and Slick Trick.

Best of luck to your son this year.    

That is good to know! He shot up in poundage since last year when he pulled back 35 lbs for the test. I increased the bow weight without him knowing it, little by little in early summer lol.

Thanks Rusty  :up:

Getting older now, and recovering from double shoulder injuries/surgeries. I cannot comfortably use my 55# recurve.

So, currently I use a Long Bow; 45# @ 28".

I have been successful with the Beman Centershot Series 500 arrows cut 29" for my 28" draw.

Useing a two blade 125 grain Zwickey Eskimo BH with a tapered steel 75 grain or 100 grain insert. 

Gives me 200 to 225 grain up front, which gives great FOC.

Personally I also like my arrow weight over 500 grains total weight.

This combination gives me fantastic penetration/pass through.

And most important they fly like darts!

Arrow Total Weight (grains)

Arrow Specific Weight (GPP)

Front of Center (FOC) %

Arrow Speed (ft/sec)

Arrow Energy (ft-lbs)

I have used  2 blade Zwickey Eskimo BH for over 40 years.

They are cheap, easy to sharpen, penetrate the animal cleanly, and are excellent flyers.

Save your $$$$ and try Zwickey you will not be disappointed.

Evert now and again…. I also get the itch to try something new and exciting with rave reviews from the peanut gallery …. But reality kicks in and I always return to Zwickey.

Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Joshua Chapter 1:9  
Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Muzzy three blade 100 is a great head for any weight bow. The magnus heads are also very good.

I know many guys like the VPA heads but they have a major design flaw IMO.

The use a very short thread length on their adapters, and I have seen them strip inserts out , as well as punch threads out due their shortened length.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

The Magnus heads are awesome.  Only thing you need to worry about is the bleeders breaking but they are replaceable.

I've shot Slick Tricks for over 10 years now...no need to change.  Super accurate and zip right through deer.

The old reliable Muzzy, Thunderhead, etc are all great options as well for fixed heads.

Confidence is big with anything, so if you have any doubts at all, I'd recommend giving something else a try :up: