IGNORED

What's the hottest burning firewood?

Bucksnbows

I was somewhat surprised because I was told that in our area, black birch was # 1.  I discount osage orange only because it is not a forest component where I live.  But I thought some of you might be interested in what produces the most BTUs.   

Hotest firewood by BTU.jpg

I only burn bark-less oak because of the issue of ash build up.  Well seasoned oak, with no bark, burns hot, long, and leaves very little ash.   :up:

We have a lot of pine on my property that has died over the 19 years we've lived here (hurricanes, ice storms, other) and that only gets burned outside in my fire pit so it doesn't gum up the flu on our inside fireplace.   

No mention of chestnut oak, which is a very common tree in N-NJ.  They're like forest weeds, and it's hard wood that burns hot.  Those are the logs you throw on a fire once you get the coal base established, and they'll burn all night long.  I guess they lump it in with white oaks, which it is.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

looks right to me. osage will burn the bricks off a chimney, lol and when you open the stove door it looks like the forth of july with sparks, got to be careful but you stove will glo red

No mention of chestnut oak, which is a very common tree in N-NJ.  They're like forest weeds, and it's hard wood that burns hot.  Those are the logs you throw on a fire once you get the coal base established, and they'll burn all night long.  I guess they lump it in with white oaks, which it is.

Yes, Chestnut oaks are in the white oak group and they burn very similarly so I would imagine that "white oak" includes all the species in that group.  

Edited by Rusty

Chestnut oaks in this are lumped under "white oak" as pin oak would be under "red oak".  So you are absolutely correct.  

chestnut oak, which is a very common tree in N-NJ.  They're like forest weeds 

The gypsy moths really hammered the chestnut oaks last year.  I have 8 dead ones to take down this Saturday along our church parking lot.  

There's so much wood between the storms and the gypsy moths that we can't give it away.   

The gypsy moths really hammered the chestnut oaks last year.  I have 8 dead ones to take down this Saturday along our church parking lot.  

There's so much wood between the storms and the gypsy moths that we can't give it away.   

I'll take a cord of your pre-split, seasoned wood.  I'll bring my evil twin to help me cart it away.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

It will be split but not seasoned.  If you want a load come and get it, 8:00 Saturday morning.  

Okay, thanks for the offer.  I need to check to see what I'm doing this weekend.  I was considering smoking a whole pork butt Saturday.  I'll let you know.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.