IGNORED

New gun

Bigtom856

Looking to purchase a new o/u for birds and hopefully sporting clays. I'm looking to stay between 500-800 right now. Any suggestions? I really like the legacy pointer 12 but reviews are few and far between. I also think the savage Stevens 555 would be a good match for me. What do you guys think? I never did any bird hunting.. I'm doing this for my dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you guys think?

I'm still trying to figure out the draw to an O/U.. I really don't see a purpose for it.. Its basically a vertical double barrel.. Back in the days before pump action and semi auto's I can see a reason for them.. but now adays?.. :think:

:D

I'm still trying to figure out the draw to an O/U.. I really don't see a purpose for it.. Its basically a vertical double barrel.. Back in the days before pump action and semi auto's I can see a reason for them.. but now adays?.. :think:

There a lot to be said for overall balance in a gun and the strong advantage of having two different chokes for different distances.

I saw a hell of a difference. I usually shoot my Remington 870 when I do this kind of shooting cause it was very far a few between. My average was always in the 40s at the sporting clay range.. Until I shot my buddy's o/u. I jumped into the high 60s that day. I'd like to get my own to practice a lot more .. Hopefully I can get into the high 70s low 80s by season opener..

Nothing like a well balanced double, whether SxS or O/U.  I own both and am an avid bird hunter.  A semi or pump just doesn't swing like a double which is why nearly every serious bird hunter wouldn't be caught dead with a single barrel shotgun.  To get something decent these days, you really need to spend over $1,000, but lower priced guns are out there.  Expect them to be heavier and not nearly as balanced as the more pricey guns.  If you're like me and hunt grouse and woodcock mainly, you won't want overly long barrels so you can swing on fast flying birds quickly in the thick brush where those birds are found.  My 20 ga. over under is 26" long and my .28 ga. side by side is 27" long.  I wouldn't go with anything over that length for barrels myself.  Pheasants only or open fields only, a 28" barrel is fine and may help on long shots.  

Like someone else said, having 2 choke options is something only a double barrel gun can give you.  I often shoot a wide open choke in my first barrel with a modified choke for my second barrel.  If the bird flushes out and not right in front of my dog, I can switch to my fuller choke as I'm only going to get one shot anyway in that scenario.  If it flushes close and I miss with the open choke, the modified (sometimes full, but not often) comes into its own for the follow up shot.  It is very rare to get more than 2 good shots at a flying bird anyway, another reason to leave the semi or pump at home.  Show me the hunter that routinely takes 3 shots at a wild bird and I'll show you a hunter that can't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside it.   :)

Edited by Bucksnbows
"d"

Nothing like a well balanced double, whether SxS or O/U. I own both and am an avid bird hunter. A semi or pump just doesn't swing like a double which is why nearly every serious bird hunter wouldn't be caught dead with a single barrel shotgun. To get something decent these days, you really need to spend over $1,000, but lower priced guns are out there. Expect them to be heavier and not nearly as balanced as the more pricey guns. If you're like me and hunt grouse and woodcock mainly, you won't want overly long barrels so you can swing on fast flying birds quickly in the thick brush where those birds are found. My 20 ga. over under is 26" long and my .28 ga. side by side is 27" long. I wouldn't go with anything over that length for barrels myself. Pheasants only or open fields only, a 28" barrel is fine and may help on long shots.

Like someone else said, having 2 choke options is something only a double barrel gun can give you. I often shoot a wide open choke in my first barrel with a modified choke for my second barrel. If the bird flushes out and not right in front of my dog, I can switch to my fuller choke as I'm only going to get one shot anyway in that scenario. If it flushes close and I miss with the open choke, the modified (sometimes full, but not often) comes into its own for the follow up shot. It is very rare to get more than 2 good shots at a flying bird anyway, another reason to leave the semi or pump at home. Show me the hunter that routinely takes 3 shots at a wild bird and I'll show you a hunter that can't hit the broad side of a barn standing inside it. :)

This helped me out so much. Thank you!

My Ruger Red Label O/U is very deadly....the most balance gun I have & swings incredible.  It fits me perfect.  It a little out of the price range you listed but worth taking a look at. 

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers: