IGNORED

Scope mounting and bore sighting

Getting my new tikka T3 lite 308 rigged up with my leupold vx5 (3-15x44mm) I purchased earlier this year.  Got me to thinking who do you guys use for scope mounting and bore sighting in the Morris/Warren/sussex county area?  

I usually just do it myself then take the gun to PA to sight in and work the kinks out.  Figured it’s a good idea to have a few places in mind if I was to need their assistance. Thanks in advance.

I do my own. Make sure the scope is level and eye relief is correct and mount the scope. I have a laser boresighter. I input bullet and velocity info and some other parameters into my laptop and print out a target that tells me exactly how far away from the scope to place it, then turn on the laser and adjust your scope until the red dot touches the bullseye. You should be within 1” in any direction of bullseye at 100 yards.   Tweak it from there. 

Or mount scope properly like Bucksnbows says.   Put in a solid rest or vice, remove bolt & alternate looking thru barrel & scope at a 25 or 50 yd target, adjusting so both are on bullseye. Or just take first couple shots from solid rest at 25 yds. then 50, then 100, tweaking as you go.

Did mine myself. I bore sighted looking through barrel and adjusting crosshairs got me close. Than took first shot at 25 yards from solid rest. Moved crosshairs to bullet hole than took shot at 50 and did the same. Moved to 100 and just had tiny adjustment to group 3 @1” high. Perfect for my muzzy. Didn’t waste too many shots. 

I can do for you. Very easy process. 

Tighten base plate to torque specs.....depending on screw size (22 - 28 in. lbs).

put scope on, level, check eye relief (rule of thumb is rear of optic should be between the trigger guard and butt stock drop [pistol grip]), then level reticle, and tighten to torque specs.

Pretty easy. 

Make sure you use torque wrench. Over tighten bases can strip receiver holes & over tighten rings can damage scope. 

Makes me cringe when I hear people say, " I just tighten them down, etc." 

In my opinion, base/rings should ALWAYS be steel. 

If you need me to do, no big deal. 

Edited by nmc02

1 hour ago, gregtpal said:

Or mount scope properly like Bucksnbows says.   Put in a solid rest or vice, remove bolt & alternate looking thru barrel & scope at a 25 or 50 yd target, adjusting so both are on bullseye. Or just take first couple shots from solid rest at 25 yds. then 50, then 100, tweaking as you go.

Yeah this is how I typically have done in the past.  Probably what I’ll do this time as well. My old man just got a new gun he has to setup too so maybe we will make a day of it at PA camp this summer.

2 hours ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

Getting my new tikka T3 lite 308 rigged up with my leupold vx5 (3-15x44mm) I purchased earlier this year.  Got me to thinking who do you guys use for scope mounting and bore sighting in the Morris/Warren/sussex county area?  

I usually just do it myself then take the gun to PA to sight in and work the kinks out.  Figured it’s a good idea to have a few places in mind if I was to need their assistance. Thanks in advance.

I just did this with that very gun (Tikka T3x Lite .308)  a couple years ago (see thread here). It is easy. I don't consider taking my guns anywhere to simply mount a scope and bore sight it, too easy to waste money going to a gunsmith for that. You can buy a torque screwdriver (Wheeler makes one) if you want to ensure you get the rings torqued down to spec. You could buy Wheeler's reticle leveler kit to get it oriented correctly. I don't think you necessarily need either of those tools to do it right. But even if you buy those two, would cost about $100 (and you have them for when you want to swap out or get new scopes, or if a scope gets knocked around and you need to re-adjust).

Nice combo. Follow the torque specs and recommendations from the manufacturers. I bought a wheeler scope level kit and have done a few myself after having a large store really screw one up. Not hard to do, just need to have patience with it. 

10 hours ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

who do you guys use for scope mounting and bore sighting in the Morris/Warren/sussex county area?  

There isn't much to it.  You could probably just eyeball it and be fine out to 300ya.  Unless you find somewhere to shoot farther, like 1000ya the procedure is easily done at home.

I purchased the Wheeler Leveling Kit and it works great out to 1000ya.

The problem that may happen is cant.  As shown below, your zero may be fine, but holdover and windage will not be.  The problem will worsen at distance.  However, I have never had a problem inside of 300ya.

image.png.ceb0227bcd06ecc157d30979907cffe5.png

In my opinion,  Wheeler is the best way to go.  The cheapest way to go is to have a good small (preferably magnetic) level, string, and a benchrest. 

First, level the rifle.  I usually level the scope base.  If the 12:00 position of the receiver is flat, even better.

Next, mount the scope and level it using the windage cap.  Or, if you can focus on a plumb line yards out, align the reticle to level. 

You're done.

Here's a third option Arisaka Optic Leveler.

Optic Leveler Combo

Edited by username