IGNORED

Anyone have any ideas how to preserve skull and turkey feet for a display?

Bonefreak

I got a 4 toed gobbler today…first time I saw a turkey missing a toe was your post over the weekend!

For preserving feet/legs I have cut them and let the cut area sit in borax for a week or two.  I then give them a couple of coats of polyurethane 

I have never done a skull but I would think a good cleaning, boiling, and a soak in hydrogen peroxide to whiten it would work.. that’s what I do with my wing bones.

Congrats to you and your boy!

IMG_1882.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yamar said:

I got a 4 toed gobbler today…first time I saw a turkey missing a toe was your post over the weekend!

For preserving feet/legs I have cut them and let the cut area sit in borax for a week or two.  I then give them a couple of coats of polyurethane 

I have never done a skull but I would think a good cleaning, boiling, and a soak in hydrogen peroxide to whiten it would work.. that’s what I do with my wing bones.

Congrats to you and your boy!

IMG_1882.jpeg

Oh wow!!  Congrats!!  Wonder what could have happened??  Frost bite??  Turtle bite??  Sparring match??  Disease??

Edited by Bonefreak

59 minutes ago, yamar said:

Nevermind the skull looks pretty involved:

I was thinking bout just wiring it to a tree in the woods and letting Mother Nature take its course & check on it every few weeks

I did a couple feet for my double-spur turkey a couple years ago. I'm sure YouTube has a bunch of info, but I can tell you one thing I did that I think helped -- I took a drill and with a drill bit smaller than the diameter of the leg (probably half the diameter - you want to leave some thickness of the leg so it remains stiff) I drilled out as far down as I could starting from where you cut the leg down toward the toes. Once I hollowed it out as far down as the drill bit would go, I filled it with borax and let it sit for a few weeks. When all was done, I then took some clear coat and sprayed a couple layers on. I think it was some left over spray-on auto clear coat I had, but it came out really great! I like the shine it gives it, and it protects it.

Taxidermy.net is your friend.  There's a lot of information on everything you want to do.  For skulls I do a "quick" maceration.  Quick meaning it only takes a few days at the right temp. to get it done without damaging or even destroying bone.  I give the guy using the power washer credit cause I would destroy it doing it that way.  Elmers glue it back together and whiten if you want, I never do.  Seal it with lacquer spray.  

Injecting the legs isn't hard and it looks much better than just letting them dry out.  Painting them to perfection I'll never be able to do, but they turn out good enough for me.  If you want perfectly painted legs reach out to Jay.

Beard, trim all the meat off and dip in dry preserve and let it do its thing (dry out).

When doing the tail, separate the layers and get ALL the grease and fat out!  Your wife or significant other isn't going to be happy if there's a line of ants crawling up your wall heading for your turkey.  Don't be scared to wash with dish soap, as it is a degreaser, and scrape or pick it clean.  After you've got as much fat and grease off, do it all again.  Let the fan dry, pin it down separating each feather, dry preserve and let it do it's thing (dry out).  Check it every couple days and replace the DP.  

Once it's all dry layer the feathers as they should be and use bondo to hold it all together.  

This is my broken foot turkey.  Chased him for two seasons.  Must be a tough life being a turkey.  Not totally satisfied with the fan on this one, but I'm not nearly as OCD with my own stuff.

IMG_8716.jpg.25f025966232be7da7e68040561df8c5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...