IGNORED

CCW class- what's required, what qualifies, where to take?

I see that there are quite a few threads regarding CCW courses, however they are all dated and i assume that legal and interpretative laws have changed since this started.

My questions: 

a) Is there a generally accepted set of rules & requirements for these classes, or is it still open to interpretation ?  

b) is there a specific class that is offered that will qualify me for CCW (assuming my references, background checks etc all pan out) that wont break the bank or require some type of buy-up membership?  

c) recommendations for Morris County/Sussex area.  

In speaking to people I am hearing $300 (max acceptable) to $1200 (completely unacceptable) for a course and/or series of courses.  

Looking for info on a known product that will meet the requirements before I walk in and hear the sales pitch.  

Thanks in advance

I took the complete course at RTSP in Randolph. Included everything needed (classroom and shooting), was charged $255. They'll tell you it's broken down by an hour in the class going through powerpoint and an hour shooting. In all, took about an hour for both (classroom was cut tremendously. We just hit wave tops since myself and the other individual in the class were pretty up-to-date on everything already). Shooting was as straight forward as it gets. You can probably find cheaper out there, I know SJ had some cheaper courses, but it wasn't worth the drive for me. The $255 is an absolutely ridiculous price tag. Out of the 5 CCWs I have, they have all cost less than $255 combined and I've never had to qualify, but that's NJ for you. 

Now, as for RTSP, after the course the instructor gave both of us (2) one hour free shooting cards. I've gone there 5 times since then and I still have both cards in my wallet. Haven't paid a penny. Pretty good range  Good people. 

1 hour ago, tcook8296 said:

Plan on spending $1000 plus or minus for the course, fingerprinting , town and state fees. 

This is a bit of a far cry from the $255 plus printing i read about here.  However, its not far off from what I am hearing among friends.  

Are we really talking $700 in printing and fees?  

5 hours ago, Tbryant said:

I took the complete course at RTSP in Randolph. Included everything needed (classroom and shooting), was charged $255. They'll tell you it's broken down by an hour in the class going through powerpoint and an hour shooting. In all, took about an hour for both (classroom was cut tremendously. We just hit wave tops since myself and the other individual in the class were pretty up-to-date on everything already). Shooting was as straight forward as it gets. You can probably find cheaper out there, I know SJ had some cheaper courses, but it wasn't worth the drive for me. The $255 is an absolutely ridiculous price tag. Out of the 5 CCWs I have, they have all cost less than $255 combined and I've never had to qualify, but that's NJ for you. 

Now, as for RTSP, after the course the instructor gave both of us (2) one hour free shooting cards. I've gone there 5 times since then and I still have both cards in my wallet. Haven't paid a penny. Pretty good range  Good people. 

If you dont mind my asking, are you retired LEO? 

43 minutes ago, GetOutdoors said:

This is a bit of a far cry from the $255 plus printing i read about here.  However, its not far off from what I am hearing among friends.  

Permit I'd 300 class if you've never carried take a course qual can be found for 100 with the use of force

best one is the one offered by Keyport Guns,Theyre class has far exceeded the states requirements and as far as I know they have set the standard. Also as far as I know none of their graduates have had to do any " refresher" courses....Last I checked it was $500

1 hour ago, bowguide said:

best one is the one offered by Keyport Guns,Theyre class has far exceeded the states requirements and as far as I know they have set the standard. Also as far as I know none of their graduates have had to do any " refresher" courses....Last I checked it was $500

pretty sure its over 600 now. That being said, if its the best its probably worth every penny

4 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Plan on spending $1000 plus or minus for the course, fingerprinting , town and state fees. 

It’s my understanding that they don’t even do fingerprinting at this point. Your numbers might be a little high. 

3 hours ago, GetOutdoors said:

No.  It’s mostly online at this point.  It’s basically 2 classes plus fees.  If you are not former LE.  I skated in cheaper because of former Fed LE. 

Fee's for the town and state will run $200. $50 of which goes to a " victims  fund " that was argued at the Third Circuit in late October. 

Ranges are charging a very high rate for quals and use of force. I want to believe this is so should someone at the range needs to testify in court for a self defense scenario and get paid for court and travel as well as insurance and RSO's.

In regards to fingerprinting I don't believe you need to go through that for your PTC. The state already has your prints on file for your FOID card. The law used to be prints for every PTC app and renewal there after. 

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

On 2/12/2024 at 8:47 AM, hostak126 said:

Fee's for the town and state will run $200. $50 of which goes to a " victims  fund " that was argued at the Third Circuit in late October. 

Ranges are charging a very high rate for quals and use of force. I want to believe this is so should someone at the range needs to testify in court for a self defense scenario and get paid for court and travel as well as insurance and RSO's.

In regards to fingerprinting I don't believe you need to go through that for your PTC. The state already has your prints on file for your FOID card. The law used to be prints for every PTC app and renewal there after. 

Need to do finger printing. 

I just applied for the Sora permit and even though they have my fingerprints from my firearms I'd, my prints from the ptc, I have to get fingerprinted again for the Sora app. 

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

On 2/11/2024 at 5:19 PM, GetOutdoors said:

If you dont mind my asking, are you retired LEO? 

Completely different permit, application, process, and statutes for Retired Officers Permit

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."