IGNORED

anyone here have a fish tank?

Kype

i started out with a 10 gallon, then 20 gallon tall, and now i upgraded to a standard 40 gallon tank. i bought basic tetras from the store along with snails, a crayfish, and a couple catfish. bought the 3 stage filter which makes a huge difference in water quality. i brought a water sample in to have tested and was perfect. just wondering if anyone else enjoys having a fish tank in there house, and what do you have in it? i was thinking about starting a salt water tank in my 20 gallon tank. but i hear salt water tanks are hard to do.

Ive had lots of tanks from 20 to 150 gallon. Had piranha oscars snakeheads clown knife African cichlids arowanas. I like fish eaters. Lol. Very relaxing but they get to be a lot of work. Once one fish gets sick you have to do water changes and add medicine. Not bad when you buy fish but some of those fish I mentioned sell for 75 dollars. That hurts. Lol needless to say fish are gone and now have a lizard.

I've done a bunch of tanks, I even got real good at breeding fish like discus and Betas, but the last tank I had was a 75 set up like a pond, I had bluegills,bass a few crawfish and some snails I had a fluval 105 3 stage filter that filtered all the water twice an hour, a bit overkill but kept the water clean, also a full spectrum light and live plants, the bottom was a mix of sand and gravel.

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.

what stand did you guys have? my 40 gallon is on an oak coffee table that is low to the ground. last night i saw a crack through the center of it. i want to get something more stable. the stand will be on carpet.

i am still throwing back and forth, a salt water tank, or a cichlid tank for my 20 gallon. again i hear salt water tanks have ALOT of maintenance. 

Hey Guys, I started with fresh water over 20 years ago..Trial and error , then moved on to marine fish...IMHO,  with dedicated husbandry, marine fish are easier to keep...No water  change in 10 months, fish are healthy & water is crystal clear.... With that said, I'd strongly recommend using a UV sterilizer to keep your fresh/salt water system parasite free..

Edited by Lemmy

I had a 55-tall for a few years with a Fluval 403 attached to it.  Did the gamut of gouramis, discus, plecos (best thing to keep your glass clean), iridescent sharks, oscars, etc.  Eventually the plastic cross beam in the middle of the tank cracked and I got rid of the whole thing.  I was over keeping the whole thing in balance and cleaning it.  The hobby became work and I was done with it.

Salt is work.  Water chemistry, pH, live everything.  If you're into the work, then you should be okay.  If you're not interested in keeping up with it, don't bother. Salt is expensive, the fish, plants, and water chemistry.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.