IGNORED

Question about broken antlers

MZW

I had a buck come in the other night and it had two nubs that looked exactly like his rack has been snapped off.ive never seen this before.anybody have any experiences or can explain this?it seems highly unlikely that both snapped off at the same height fighting and they didn't look shedded.uploadfromtaptalk1448626664082.jpg

Both could be true.

I have seen shedding in December before but it us unusual.

Based on pic it appears to be a shed but clearly you seeing live could be the better judge

The pic doesn't show how splintered the bases looked.i agree in this pic it looks shedded but in person it looked more like they where snapped off.

There is antler showing, so it's not shed. It would have "pepperoni head" if it was a shed buck. In other words, the two pedicles would look like scabs.

Button buck, possible, but bone showing seems rare to me, almost every button that I have seen keeps a velvet covering all the way through winter, I'm assuming until the buttons are pushed off by their first real rack in Spring. 

Broken antlers, very possible. I can't recall what causes it or who told me, but I've heard that some young bucks can have especially weak racks.

“I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target, but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s way of fang and claw and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow.” – Fred Bear

There is antler showing, so it's not shed. It would have "pepperoni head" if it was a shed buck. In other words, the two pedicles would look like scabs.

Button buck, possible, but bone showing seems rare to me, almost every button that I have seen keeps a velvet covering all the way through winter, I'm assuming until the buttons are pushed off by their first real rack in Spring.

Broken antlers, very possible. I can't recall what causes it or who told me, but I've heard that some young bucks can have especially weak racks.

Pretty much along the same lines I was thinking.Ive seen a million button bucks and none have looked anything close to this.

The buck I shot last year would have been a nice 8, but he had an antler broken off at the base. The broken antler was on the opposite side so I didn't notice until I approached the down deer.  I thought I was shooting a buck that would make a nice mount. Had I noticed I would have let him walk.

I don't think it was broken off in a fight with another buck because the diameter of the stump was noticeably smaller than the base of the intact antler. Also it appeared to have been broken a long time before. Since it was opening day of muzzleloader it would have looked more fresh if broken off during the rut

Bottom line is the broken stub didn't look anything like the pic. It was black splintered and about 2 inches long.

Alright, fist thing is first, if he's not laying dead on the side of a road, you can rule out being hit by a car, if hit hard enough to shatter his rack, he'd be dead, anyone think he may well of had his ass kicked by a much bigger buck? My question would be, " I'd like to see the buck that busted his ass!! "

Hunt with a Vizsla, cause life's to short to hunt with an ugly dog! :D RIP Tilly monster. (Attila) 2004-2017.