IGNORED

*Updated 6/14* Cervical Total Disk Replacement

6/14.  First off, thank you to the many, many forum members who took the time to respond and the outpouring of support via PMs.  Figured I would update those who took an interest here.  Yesterday I spent most of the day at HSS in NYC for my consult and work up.  This place is NOT your local orthopedic, red carpet all the way.  

My surgeon was amazing to say the least, for the first time I actually received the entire clinical picture of my cervical disease.  Try to keep this short for you.  The official diagnosis is congenital cervical stenosis among other jargon.  New imaging revealed the disease has severely progressed since September.  Ultimately what is going to happen is a three level surgery whereas c5, and c6 will be replaced with artificial disks, and c7 will be fused via cage and graft.  Despite the “wow” factor of this news, the recovery process doesn’t change.  There is zero difference in length of recovery whether I had one or all disks replaced/fused.  The difference is the outcome.  Only doing c6 means that I will be back in pain within 12-18 months and back on the table.  Having all 3 levels done now ensures a superior outcome with less than a 10% chance of needing additional surgery years from now (c4).  So, I am going for it.  Fortunately for me my current imaging alone supports insurance coverage, let alone the supporting documentation I had from years of “conservative “ care.  

For those who shared their stories and advice with me, thank you.  For those who just simply said “good luck,” thank you.  For those of you here still in pain, know that you don’t have to tough it out anymore.  The advancements in spinal care are exponential, so please take care of yourselves.  

Waiting on a surgical date, but the surgeon has prioritized me, and assured me I will be in before the of the month.  This means I’ll be recovered and back in a tree by the rut.  More importantly I’ll be back to being super dad before that!  

Hey Everyone!

Reaching out to see if anyone here has any experience with having a cervical total disk replacement surgery.  Long story short (if I can), I have cervical stenosis with herniations at C5, 6 and 7; with the herniation at C6 now completing compressing the nerve root.  Been dealing with this for about 2 years now and have exhausted all other conservative treatments; PT, acupuncture, massage, chiropractic adjustments, epidurals and ablation.  I am at the point where all of these methods are failing me and the pain is nonstop, everyday, for the last 8 months.  I know the surgery is needed as I am facing some permanent nerve damage if I do not act soon; I am going to HSS in NYC next week for my second opinion, but I am pretty sure their counsel will be the same.  Might be opening a can of worms here (do I really want to know?), but has anyone here had this procedure done and can you tell me what recovery was like?  I am not afraid of surgery, I am afraid of being so limited for 6 weeks post surgery, with another possible 6 months to fully heal with a 3 year old running around my home.  If the surgeon is correct, there will be no fusion or bone graph here (could change intraoperatively though), just removal of the disk and placement of the arthroplasty device.  If anyone has any words of wisdom or advice, I am all ears.  Just try not to scare the s**t out of me please, I just need this pain to end.  :) 

Edited by Zone50BugNerd
Update 6/14

I'm in the same boat as you, with other related issues left shoulder and left arm nerve damage. been dealing with this since November 2015, and basically did everything under the sun as far as treatment as you have done. I have seen three different doctors all three agree on surgery....But I'm not ready for surgery reason is once you screw with the back I believe there is a great chance of other issues, all three doctors did in fact disclose with any surgery nothing is 100%.  

Wish you luck, I know exactly what you are dealing with 

I too need to make a decision by July 19 coming up. Had 3 opinions. All 3 surgeons said same thing. Need surgery. 

In December I had my rotor cuff attached a torn bicep and 3 other tendons repaired. They told me in 2 weeks I'd be playing tennis. Well here it is and kinda regret getting the shoulder worked on. 

As for my back they saying 6-8 weeks. So I'm reading that as 6-8 months. They can not tell you how your going to heal imo. Buddy at work going thru same thing. He's months after surgery and still in pain healing. 

It all boils down to how much pain your willing to take and any irreversible damage. Good luck. And my July 19 date sure coming quick

LET EM GO SO HE CAN GROW

41 minutes ago, BHC said:

been dealing with this since November 2015

You are a stronger man than I for sure.  I couldn't imagine over 8 years with this pain.  Maybe if I didn't have a 3 year old to chase after it might be different; but every move, every sneeze, cough, poop, reach, stretch and even doing nothing is painful.  I am 45 in August, so I can't see myself holding off on this; my only fear in life is not being able to play with my daughter; which is happening now the last several weeks.  I wish you luck my friend, I hope you find a favorable outcome soon!  

9 minutes ago, Booner said:

As for my back they saying 6-8 weeks. So I'm reading that as 6-8 months

It is a crapshoot for sure.  I am looking at similar recovery times, but I could also wake up from surgery to having had fusion done which would change the game for me too.  All I know is that the last several weeks I have become that turd of a father that can't play with his kids; so that is my motivator to get well.  Once my 3yr old daughter starting calling me out on it (she sees the pain on my face), I knew it was time to act more aggressively.   Do it now, get through it, and hope for a quick recovery and back to being a superdad!  I wish you luck my friend, I'll certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers!  

Sorry to hear Tim.  I have fusion done in 2012 on C4 and C5.  All issues were on right side of my body.  Pain, numbness, loss of strength.  2020 I had C6 and C7 fused with all issues on the left side.  I have had zero issues with either surgery and was pain free from being woken up.  I just reached out to my buddy whose wife had it done on May 2.  She had 2 discs replaced at C6.  She has no pain now and has returned to work (lawyer).  She is still hesitant to turn head quickly out of fear, I was too.  She left hospital same day she had surgery.  Bugger scar to do replacement than to do fusion but you could get creative with a story about a knife fight!!!  You have my number if you want or need more info.  Her surgery was done at Morristown.  Best of luck to you.

3 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Sorry to hear Tim

I appreciate the well wishes!  I genuinely have no fear of surgery, I was just hoping for something more definitive and less grey area when it comes to outcomes and recovery.  From what I have researched, this is the way to go.  Going to HSS is just a means for me to solidify what I have researched, and what I was told today locally.  More than likely, whatever HSS has to say is what I will do, they are the varsity team from what I can gather and I am glad they are in network for me (the only benefit I have from working in NYC I suppose).  I appreciate you and your own stories do put me a bit more at ease.  What I do know is that doing nothing is not an option, and the longer I wait the greater chance off irreversible damage; so I will act quickly here.