IGNORED

need advice on a recurve bow

Kype

i have had a recurve bow for about 5 years that i have been shooting quite often. its an old stemmler with a 28 inch draw and a 50# draw weight. from research i found stemmler is an older bow from the 70s and 80s. i did shoot a carp with it about 2 years ago. i am currently in the market for a new recurve for deer hunting. i would like to buy it now in hopes of getting it out on a hunt for winter bow. i am thinking about buying a fred bear grizzly. msrp is $380. from the reviews it seems like a great bow for the money, and a few guys are saying its better then some custom recurves that are priced double. let me know what you think. or should i stick with the stemmler for another year?

If you have a traditional club around could check with them,might be a chace to shoot a few different bows.I would use what you have for now.I am shooting a 40 plus year old bow now .

i do not know any shooting clubs. i wish i could shoot the bear grizzly before i bought it though...just so i can make my own review on it 

I have a Hoyt darado 45 lb at 27 inch draw I'm shooting close to 50# with my long arms great bow. I think they are right around 700$ new it's a take down bow also with is nice

dont get me wrong. i love hoyt. but 700 is out of my budget. 

thats another subject too. do i buy a takedown bow so i can change the limbs? or stick with what you buy?

i have been shooting traditional for a LONG time and shot just about every bow out there.  the grizzly is a good shooting bow but the super grizzly is a little heavier mass weight which would make it a little more stable.  what r u looking for in a bow?  how long of a sight window do you need with your shooting style?  i believe one of the best bows considering shootability, performance, and versatility in that price range would be a tradtech pinnacle II riser with tradtech wood/ glass limbs.  limb length would depend on your draw length.  the 19" riser is a very forgiving "shoot off the shelf" wood ILF riser.  the bow will make a 60-64" bow (depending on limb).  what area r u from?  im in morris county and would be more than happy to help u.  i own and have access to a lot of recurves!!

I've pm'd gobblengrunt in the past and he's given nothing but top notch info, he knows his stuff. One bit of advice I can give is... Don't overbow yourself with poundage, being accurate is more critical and use a heavy single bevel broadhead. Gobblengrunt actually gave me this advice. I'm a pretty big guy and only shoot a 45# bow, at my longer draw it's close to 50#. The last buck I shot acted like he was hit by a freight train, staggered for about 30yrds and dropped. I have to admit I was kinda surprised after shooting a 70# compound for years that a 45# recurve with a heavy head could hit so hard and be so lethal. Good luck

AWM

• 3 weeks later...

I don't own a recurve newer than 1976.....and I hunt with one every year....have taken at least 2 deer with the recurve every year for the last 4 years...Nothing wrong with hunting old bows.....If that Stemmler shoots good and you are comfortable with it, there's no reason why you shouldn't hunt with it.....I prefer shorter bows (52" and under) because I'm a tree stand guy....But I've taken plenty of deer with 62"+ AMO....The 50# draw weight is what I'm hunting now...so You've got plenty of pop to do the job too.....