IGNORED

TURKEY PERMITS A,B,C,D,E weeks picked up on line just now.

bushden

I managed to get every week I wanted in my zone !

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

10 minutes ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Wow what zone?  My friend tried to get 14E and it was sold out by 10:01

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

Wow!!  14 had more than normal OTC left….must be a reflection of what I’m seeing….or lack there of …in the fields….no flocks like past years!!  I still got all weeks for 14…but there is definitely less flocks. 

Also got 12 C & D as backups but very little public land in 12. 

Good luck n have a safe season!!

19 minutes ago, Merkel said:

If I’m not mistaken there have been left over permits for a couple of years now except for the hot zones. 

27 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Looks like interest in Turkey Hunting is declining. 

That's because there's less turkeys around. If they don't figure it out soon, we won't have any left to hunt. 

1 minute ago, vdep217 said:

Declining or stableizing.  

Definitely declining, and it's not just NJ. I listen to a bunch of different turkey hunting podcasts and they're all saying the same thing, no matter what state their talking about.

I geek out -- :nerd:I have tracked the leftover permits available for the first OTC day for the past 3 years (so I can figure out the trends and know which are the hot zones/periods so I can know which 3 permits I should buy first at 10:00, then determine which I should buy in my second fast-finger round at 10:01 -- I don't fool around with this stuff :D ... some of my zones/periods literally sell out in the first couple minutes).

I concentrate on the south zones. This year there was, in general, slightly more left than the past 2 years. The pandemic effect is lessening, people going to back to work now, I think.

But it wasn't drastic. And one zone, 16, is getting more interest. I don't know if the quotas have changed (that would affect things).

Here's the difference between what was available first OTC day this year compared  to 2021 which was the first season sales that really got affected by the pandemic - by then is when many people were remotely working and had more time to turkey hunt:

(so, for example, you can see this year there were 4 less permits available OTC in 16B than in 2021, 23 less for 16C and 36 less for 16D, but more available for A and E!)

BTW: for the past 3 years, there wasn't a zone that was sold out after the lottery - every zone had at least a few permits available OTC... but some you need fast fingers because some would sell out within minutes. Don't expect to go to a license agent and be able to get those - by the time the guy at the machine finished typing in your CID number, they'd be gone).

image.png.80fe9a3b736f2ac225cb21cf21b8b8a0.png

Here's the year-over-year difference (the amount of permits we had available OTC this year compared to last year, virtually every zone had  more permits available this year):

image.png.3908427790d7bdb5c26249042cbb923c.png

6 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I geek out -- :nerd:I have tracked the leftover permits available for the first OTC day for the past 3 years (so I can figure out the trends and know which are the hot zones/periods so I can know which 3 permits I should buy first at 10:00, then determine which I should buy in my second fast-finger round at 10:01 -- I don't fool around with this stuff :D ... some of my zones/periods literally sell out in the first couple minutes).

I concentrate on the south zones. This year there was, in general, slightly more left than the past 2 years. The pandemic effect is lessening, people going to back to work now, I think.

But it wasn't drastic. And one zone, 16, is getting more interest. I don't know if the quotas have changed (that would affect things).

Here's the difference between what was available first OTC day this year compared  to 2021 which was the first season sales that really got affected by the pandemic - by then is when many people were remotely working and had more time to turkey hunt:

(so, for example, you can see this year there were 4 less permits available OTC in 16B than in 2021, 23 less for 16C and 36 less for 16D, but more available for A and E!)

BTW: for the past 3 years, there wasn't a zone that was sold out after the lottery - every zone had at least a few permits available OTC... but some you need fast fingers because some would sell out within minutes. Don't expect to go to a license agent and be able to get those - by the time the guy at the machine finished typing in your CID number, they'd be gone).

image.png.80fe9a3b736f2ac225cb21cf21b8b8a0.png

Here's the year-over-year difference (the amount of permits we had available OTC this year compared to last year, virtually every zone had  more permits available this year):

image.png.3908427790d7bdb5c26249042cbb923c.png

I'm confused here. Both charts say 2023

3 minutes ago, DBuck said:

I'm confused here. Both charts say 2023

That's just a reflection of the way that column value was generated.. 2023 is the first year of the comparison. The first chart compared 2023 to 2021; the second compared 2023 to 2022. The column value is just the first year of the comparison. It's confusing, but I didn't bother making it less confusing, the chart was really just for me, and I know what I meant :)

Edited by mazzgolf