IGNORED

now let's talk muzzleloader bullets

mazzgolf

As you know, I'm squaring away my CVA/Optima right now while there's not much hunting or fishing going on right now. Trying to zero it in and get a powder/load combo I want to use next season.

I do not plan to shoot magnum loads (2 pellets max, if i get my hands on BH209, something like 80 or 90gr) and I'm avoiding saboted bullets (I want full-bore ammo!). I wasn't planning on shopping around and trying a bunch of different bullets - was just going to use PowerBelts - from the same people that make the gun so I assume they are all made to work the best together.

But I was doing research and a lot of people seem to hate the PowerBelts for hunting due to the soft lead (the bullet losing a lot of mass and fragmenting, not mushrooming all that great).

Anyone shoot game with PowerBelts and notice that?

So I'm going to look into trying the Hornady Bore Driver (which is 290 grains... looking for something around 300 grains so I can use it for black bear as well as whitetail).

Curious what people use and what your experience is with it on actual game (not punching holes in paper) - especially black bear ;) 

I have tried and killed many deer with many different bullets. As with broadheads, we tend to look for the "silver bullet" that works magically. Well, there isn't one. Pick a bullet that is accurate and loads fairly easily. Remember, while hunting, you will only probably need to reload once or none. If your animal disappears into the brush, you will want to reload. If it falls in sight, no need.  A bullet/load combination you can get 15 reloads without cleaning isn't needed in the field. 

I used Powerbelts for many years and killed everything I shot with them. But you hear testimonials from other people and get tempted to try other bullets. Since then I have shot, Hornady SST, Hornady XTP, Harvester Scorpion, Harvester Sabertooth, and others. I had good results with all of them. 

Most testimonials on bullets and broadheads is from one result. Good or bad. If it turns out good, your happy. If it turns out bad, you blame the equipment.  The bottom line is, no deer can survive a heart/lung shot from any bullet or broadhead. If the shot is good, any bullet will work. 

Some people say it's good to not have an exit hole because you want all the KE expended in the animal. At the same time, people complain about blood trails. You can't have it both ways sometimes.

So, use what works for YOU, for your reasons.  There is no "silver bullet". You will see slightly better results with one or another, but it probably had nothing to do with the bullet. No two shots are exactly the same. 

Good luck!

Edited by archer36

5 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I have tried and killed many deer with many different bullets. As with broadheads, we tend to look for the "silver bullet" that works magically. Well, there isn't one. Pick a bullet that is accurate and loads fairly easily. Remember, while hunting, you will only probably need to reload once or none. If your animal disappears into the brush, you will want to reload. If it falls in sight, no need. 

Most testimonials on bullets and broadheads is from one result. Good or bad. If it turns out good, your happy. If it turns out bad, you blame the equipment.  The bottom line is, no deer can survive a heart/lung shot from any bullet or broadhead. If the shot is good, any bullet will work. 

Some people say it's good to not have an exit hole because you want all the KE expended in the animal. At the same time, people complain about blood trails. You can't have it both ways sometimes.

So, use what works for YOU, for your reasons. 

Good luck!

Find the right bullet and you will drop every deer in its tracks.  I use Thompson xtp 240gr with 100 grain pyrodex and have watched all but one deer drop in sight.  Remember tge girl of killing with a bullet is not massive hemorrhaging it is hydrostatic shock.  I believe if I pushed my bullet to 300 grain I would drop every deer in their tracks.  I believe @Gobblengrunthas found that magic load and has dropped many animals not just deer in their tracks

9 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Find the right bullet and you will drop every deer in its tracks.  I use Thompson xtp 240gr with 100 grain pyrodex and have watched all but one deer drop in sight.  Remember tge girl of killing with a bullet is not massive hemorrhaging it is hydrostatic shock.  I believe if I pushed my bullet to 300 grain I would drop every deer in their tracks.  I believe @Gobblengrunthas found that magic load and has dropped many animals not just deer in their tracks

Just to be clear, I'll be taking this out for bear, too (not just deer) - that's why I want to start concentrating on something about 300gr.

I use Hornaday 300 grain XTP magnum pistol bullets. I've watched all but, one of the deer shot with them go down within 50 yards. The only complaint that I have is that there is a sparce blood trail for the first 20 to 40 yards. So, I concentrate on watching the deer after the shot. 

Edited by Tarhunt

"The Nation Which Forgets Its Defenders, Will Itself Be Forgotten".

I'm using hornady sst 250gr.  Expand nice like a rose peddle but still don't get much of a bloodtrail.  All bullets I've tried over the years don't leave much of a trail.  Have to remember where it was standing at the shot, and after the smoke clears look for the direction it went in by looking for where it's tracks dug up the dirt.  Luckily they fall within sight of there.  They just don't punch a big enough hole for a lot of blood to run out

It was my first season with my new CVA accura ML and I too went with 45 call 285gr Powerbelt.
No issue at the range, the load performed well
I shot two deer with it. One 110 yards and 75 yards. First deer went 30 yards, 2nd deer went about the same distance. No exit wound, like I experienced with TC shokwave, and the blood trail was great. This is a very easy, smooth loading bullet 

image.png.13d8d69af8cabfab08fb7625f933343a.png

IMG_3875.MOV

Edited by Lunatic

Everything I hit with a Powerbelt dropped in its tracks

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

3 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Just to be clear, I'll be taking this out for bear, too (not just deer) - that's why I want to start concentrating on something about 300gr.

You can kill a bear with a Nike sneaker if it's moving fast enough.  Black bears are surprisingly easy to kill.  That said, don't overthink the need to kill a whale because any deer round will take a black bear.  Brown and polar bears are another story.....