IGNORED

Trouble with .22 ejecting

Finally hit the range today up in flatbrook with my .22 bolt actions and ar.  On both my bolt actions the shells would not eject properly more times than not. I had to use a small flathead to pull the shell out. I’m leaning with the ammo since it happened in both rifles. Was the first time shooting these rifles, one is new the other a few decades old. I was using CCI ammo (pictured below) which I know is pretty cheap. Has anyone had similar issues?  It felt almost like the shell was too snug inside when I worked it out with a flathead screwdriver.  

EA8E1A85-BFF0-4D21-9C78-89F570929ED9.png

5 minutes ago, JD48 said:

May want to try picking up a chamber brush.

You think that would stop the problem that occurred about 25 shots in on a new firearm?  I could see if it’s reasonably dirty but the one gun was never fired prior to today. 

2 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

This is true.  It’s new, however sat in the safe for a few years.  I’ll have to clean them and give it a go a few years from now when I have time again to shoot lol. 

I put my guns away clean and clean them again when i take them out to use, that's just me

46 minutes ago, mike033089 said:

You think that would stop the problem that occurred about 25 shots in on a new firearm? 

This is one thing I think some people do not realize. When you get a new gun, it often comes smothered with goop (I don't know what you call it - shipping grease? packing oil?) that you should clean off before taking your first shot.

Every new gun I've got (and I got a few over the past few years), it came from the manufacturer with something sticky/gooey already on it. I am amazed every time I clean a new gun how much gunk comes off it - even before I put one round through it.

So I always make it a point to clean a new gun the day I bring it home - and it's normally a good, strip-down cleaning - I get down in whatever crevices I can reach, not just the barrel.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/bought-gun-now-what/

You may notice this funky grease covering your gun. That’s an oil that most firearm companies use to protect the gun while it’s sitting in a warehouse waiting to be sold. Its purpose is for protection, not functionality.

It has gotta go.

and this:

https://kurtthegunsmith.com/should-you-clean-a-new-gun-before-firing-it/

Edited by mazzgolf

11 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

This is one thing I think some people do not realize. When you get a new gun, it often comes smothered with goop (I don't know what you call it - shipping grease? packing oil?) that you should clean off before taking your first shot.

Every new gun I've got (and I got a few over the past few years), it came from the manufacturer with something sticky/gooey already on it. I am amazed every time I clean a new gun how much gunk comes off it - even before I put one round through it.

So I always make it a point to clean a new gun the day I bring it home - and it's normally a good, strip-down cleaning - I get down in whatever crevices I can reach, not just the barrel.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/bought-gun-now-what/

and this:

https://kurtthegunsmith.com/should-you-clean-a-new-gun-before-firing-it/

I’ll have to do this. The other rifle came from family who was willed it.  It was found in basically a hoarder house. I’m sure it’s dirty. I just thought what we’re the odds that both guns acted the same way.  I will clean both and pick up a different brand of ammo and see what happens. 

Edited by mike033089

The one rifle is a savage. Apparently it’s pretty common and passing the extractor across a file a few times solves the issue. Odd it was both guns though. It only started with both firearms after about 25- 40 shots. I assumed some expansion do to heat. Will do some cleanings before any adjustment to the extractors and hit the range with existing ammo and new.  See what I come up with.  Thank you all for suggestions.