IGNORED

got my personal best pickerel... then I got another one!

mazzgolf

16 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Rapala ... Hard stick bait (I call them jerk baits) but not a deep diver - perch pattern. Sloooow retrieve this time of year seems to work well. Sometimes I'll even stop the retrieve and let the lure float to the surface and let it sit for a few seconds before continuing to bring it in. I don't know why - but this time of year slow or start-stop retrieves seem to make the fish want to bite.

In fact, I need to buy me another one of these lures... the one I have is many years old and beat up, but it still keeps catching fish!

flat_rap_08_p_hero.png

Fish are cold blooded. That means their metabolism slows in cold water. They lack the energy to chase hard right now, but will always take an easy meal which is what a slow retrieve is for them in these colder water months. 

8 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Wow you guys are catching some big Pickerel . Here are the two latest Pickerel world records 25.5 and 29 inches.

https://tacklevillage.com/world-record-chain-pickerel/

That's insane because I measured him one time. I'm bout to catch his a$$ and be a record holder!! I've literally caught him 5 times at least!! Park side alcyon in the summer cast from the tree and you can be a record holder too. 

15 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Wow you guys are catching some big Pickerel . Here are the two latest Pickerel world records 25.5 and 29 inches.

https://tacklevillage.com/world-record-chain-pickerel/

That's interesting. I can't imagine a 25" Pickerel weighing anywhere near 9 lbs. That's the record length and record weight. Here is a picture of a "smaller" one I have caught there. It's around 24" and is probably around 3 lbs. The biggest one I didn't take a pic of. That one would have been pretty heavy because it had a 1.5 lb Yellow Perch in its belly, but nowhere close to 9 lbs. 

IMG_3651.JPG

Edited by archer36

6 minutes ago, archer36 said:

That's interesting. I can't imagine a 25" Pickerel weighing anywhere near 9 lbs. That's the record length and record weight. Here is a picture of a "smaller" one I have caught there. It's around 24" and is probably around 3 lbs. The biggest one I didn't take a pic of. That one would have been pretty heavy because it had a 1.5 lb Yellow Perch in its belly, but nowhere close to 9 lbs. 

IMG_3651.JPG

I caught one many years ago that I have mounted.  It was 27.5 inches, (measured)and weighed 6.5 lbs. Waywayanda back around 1980.  

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

I caught one many years ago that I have mounted.  It was 27.5 inches, (measured)and weighed 6.5 lbs. Waywayanda back around 1980.  

Must depend on the waterbody and what they feed on? I'd guesstimate the weight on the beast of alcyon 3.5 to 4.5 lbs. Long and lean. 

14 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

That's insane because I measured him one time. I'm bout to catch his a$$ and be a record holder!! I've literally caught him 5 times at least!! Park side alcyon in the summer cast from the tree and you can be a record holder too. 

The NJ Record in 9 pounds 30z , world record is 9lb 5 oz.

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

That's more like it. We all mis-judge sizes and weights of fish when not actually measuring/weighing. But it would only be a few inches, not close to a foot unless you intentionally lie which fisherman are always accused of. :rofl:

Edited by archer36

3 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

Must depend on the waterbody and what they feed on? I'd guesstimate the weight on the beast of alcyon 3.5 to 4.5 lbs. Long and lean. 

Did you actually put a tape on it or just estimating?  

Just now, Nomad said:

The NJ Record in 9 pounds 30z , world record is 9lb 5 oz.

That's insane. They're a nuisance to me. I rarely even bother to take a pic. 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Did you actually put a tape on it or just estimating?  

Yes taped 35.5 inches weighed no guesstimate but nowhere near 9 probably not over 5. 

56 minutes ago, Coyoteslayer said:

That's insane. They're a nuisance to me. I rarely even bother to take a pic. 

Yes taped 35.5 inches weighed no guesstimate but nowhere near 9 probably not over 5. 

Wow that’s long. Getting into nice pike territory.