IGNORED

Your freakiest night camping…

JHbowhunter

Let’s hear your freakiest….

I was canoeing Delaware river and camping from Ponds Eddy  to Dingman’s  back in 80’s with crazy psycho wife #1.  Camped 1 night on South tip of Minisink island. 

Never thought much of bears back then.  It was late May. Made a fire and dinner and put all utensils and cookware back in cooler before the heavy rain hit. It was cold definitely low 50’s overnight and tent was leaking of course. Around midnight started hearing sloshing in the water and very heavy breathing.  Like a whale blow hole.  Very loud.  Then it stopped.  She is clinging to me terrified but I can only surmise a bear. Figured it was gone.  Thinking “good thing all the food and cookware is in cooler bear will never smell it”.  

Then heard footsteps and twigs snapping.  This was all after heavy thunderstorm had stopped.  Now can hear the breathing again it’s clearly walking around the tent.  I prayed a lot that night.  It may have worked because eventually it vanished.  Never bothered cooler.  But it was at times a few feet from tent.  

Turns out that night was nothing compared to the horror she became but still - pretty damn freaky  

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Well I don’t have a freaky story but definitely one that freaked me out to this instance that transpired… The wife, me and two friends used to camp a lot at Bulls Island. Every evening we would fish for catfish and stripers off the wing dam. Well it was still light and we were getting set up and I saw this little girl walking very close the the “chute” of the wing dam. Before I could say a word she slipped and the current pulled her in. My buddy Danny instantly jumped in and I ran to the end of the wing dam to try and grab them, no good. I jumped in and Danny had the girl but couldn’t stay at the surface. I grabbed the girl from him, she was scared and the undertow was pulling hard. I was trying to get out of the fast water but she was freaking out making the situation impossible, my heart was beating unbelievably hard and I remember thinking “Is this how I die”. With barely energy left I screamed in her ear “Stop fighting” and it startled her and she became still. I rolled onto my back holding her atop me and started kicking trying to get out of the fast water. As luck would have it I felt a large rock and was able to hold my head and hers out of water and get a break. A few minutes later I gained the energy to get us out of the water and to land, she took off like a bolt of lightning. Physically exhausted went back to camp. 2 hours later a guy approached us and beside him was the little girl. He thanked us over and over and she handed us a picture she made of us saving her in the water with a big thank you and smiley face on it. We got very drunk that night😂The next morning I remember walking out onto the wing dam drinking my coffee thinking about yesterdays events. I walked to the spot she got swept away and I could see the moss scraped away from her fingernails where she tried with all her might to hold on. The four of us will never forget the day. Thank god we lived to tell the story. Our story was actually in Readers Digest 3 moths following the incident

AWM

Back in the '80s, I was supposed meet up with this crazy chick one night on an island in the Delaware. She told me what time and said she would sneak away from camp. I waited around for a while but she was a no show. I even went down and walked around the camp a few times. All I could hear was a couple of girls whimpering inside a tent so I split.

Had a bear sniffing around my tent while on a 50 mile canoe trek with the scouts around the saranac lakes.  We were camping on an island for the night.  It didn't wake anybody else up and nothing came of it. 

I woke up way before daylight on our last day there at the main camp.  Came out of the shower building and saw the sky was lit up off in the distance.  Lighting was continuously striking in one area and coming our way.  Knew it was one heck of a storm coming and tried to get all the kids up out of the tents and up to the lodge as quickly as possible, but nobody moved their butts.  It was upon us in no time.  Trees falling and tops landing between the tents.  Lucky to get through it without any injuries.  Trees were down on the road on the way out of the camp.  Made it to the main road and drove under tunnels of trees leaning on the telephone pole cables.  No gas stations were open and swaths of trees were downed in rows going up the mountainsides.  It was a long ways before coming out of the devastation and finding a gas station that was open before running out. 

When I was a kid and in the Boy Scouts we would do a week long camping trip at Yards Creek. We would sleep in cabin tents that were on wood platforms. The first night in camp I was woken up by a noise inside of my tent, I turned on my flashlight and saw a raccoon in there with me. I scared it off and went back to sleep. The next two nights I was woken up by a raccoon in the tent and scared it off.  On the fourth night I was once again woken up by a noise in the tent and when I turned on my  flashlight there was a skunk in the tent with me, I pulled my sleeping bag over my head and stayed motionless until it left. 

I was hunting in Alaska for caribou. We were flown in on float planes and camped near Aniak Lake. The days were long and we were hunting hard when I got back to camp one afternoon I climbed into the tent and took a nap. I was woken up by a noise outside on the side of my tent that sounded like a growl. I grabbed my .44 and my rifle and went to the zipper of my tent. I was holding the .44 and unzipped the tent and looked outside when I see a pair of feet sticking out past the side of our gear tent and that is where the growling is coming from. I grabbed the rifle and stepped out thinking a bear is on one of my friends, so I raise the rifle up and step around to get a shot on the bear when I look and see it is my friend fast asleep and snoring so loud that I thought it was a bear. When he woke up I asked him why he didn't come in the tent and he said he didn't want to wake me up. I told him I would have rather been woken up instead of having the crap scared out of me when I saw his feet sticking past the side of the other tent thinking he was being eaten by a bear.

This is a true life my story.

In the late 1970s during the tocks Island project, the state was buying property and homes with offers you could not refuse. (A blessing in the long run) Friday's after work I pack up my gear on my shovelhead Cruise fish and snooze. Wasn't hard to find free lodging. So I stay in this one cabin one night. Okay just a memory. Again true story swear to God!

I meet my wife to be, one night they in laws to be wanted to show home movies you know on those old projectors. My jaw dropped that was the place I was at, the footage was so cool watching!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt