Ms Grit

11/7 Check In

Year of the spike

I've seen so many spikes this year it's insane.antler restrictions without genetics and proper nutrition equal the master race of spikes.

Had a spike chasing a mature doe and come by my stand 3 times and thought for sure this would of got the attention of something bigger.

I've seen so many spikes this year it's insane.antler restrictions without genetics and proper nutrition equal the master race of spikes.

Rusty can correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of spikes this year, likely only means that there were a lot of late born fawns last year.

First racks have so much to do with time of birth and quality of nutrition. If they are born on time and have great nutrition, you'll likely see their genetic traits expressed in mini versions of future racks, but I wouldn't fret about a lot of spikes.

I have to wonder if it has anything to do with too many does in a particular area. If there are too many does, you'll have does being bred much later as they cycle twice or three times.

I guess it could also be the sign of a very healthy herd where doe fawns are reaching breeding weight and birthing offspring. They would be bred late in the year, so maybe that's the reason for a lot of spikes.

There are situations I've seen where APR doesn't help, but I can only think of a few rare cases of mature spikes.

Two years from now, some of those spikes might be really beautiful bucks you would love to drop off at the taxidermist.

Rusty can correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of spikes this year, likely only means that there were a lot of late born fawns last year.

First racks have so much to do with time of birth and quality of nutrition. If they are born on time and have great nutrition, you'll likely see their genetic traits expressed in mini versions of future racks, but I wouldn't fret about a lot of spikes.

I have to wonder if it has anything to do with too many does in a particular area. If there are too many does, you'll have does being bred much later as they cycle twice or three times.

I guess it could also be the sign of a very healthy herd where doe fawns are reaching breeding weight and birthing offspring. They would be bred late in the year, so maybe that's the reason for a lot of spikes.

There are situations I've seen where APR doesn't help, but I can only think of a few rare cases of mature spikes.

Two years from now, some of those spikes might be really beautiful bucks you would love to drop off at the taxidermist.

I guess this is what happens every year in my area.

Berserker went out with me yesterday he had 3 does and one nice buck he said come in didn't give him a shot hopefully Monday he will vet out and kill his first whitetail and with a bow.im going later today up in millstone we shall see what happens I'm not seeing the does though like years prior but maybe magic will happen

• Agree 1

By the way, good luck to everyone. 

I won't be able to get out again today, but maybe tomorrow. 

I did see that 8 pointer chasing around another doe this morning in my yard. This is certainly the time to get out there. :up:

• Agree 1

I have killed many deer on private land but never one on public land until today. I have been leaving the private lands to the boy so today I decided to hit up state land where I knew their has been a stand there for years, 7 am this guy came 15 yards chasing a doe and I couldn't help but let a arrow fly. he turned as I shot and I thought the arrow was a little back and a little high and I thought I herd him go down, my arrow had some bubbles so I knew I had at least 1 lung but I figured it would still be best to let him lay for a couple hours, went back at 9 and after a short tracking job he was laying right where I thought I herd him crash, I hit where I thought but it came out better and double lunged him.  nice to finally drag one out of the woods. buck1_zpsx438ekd3.jpg   buck2_zpszpzt472m.jpg

Edited by rgw
  • Agree 10

Nice! We are getting very heavy rain right now. So, we are going to wait a few hours before going back out.