IGNORED

44 REM Mag Deer Cartridges

Nanuk

I looking to use a Ruger deer carbine this coming fall for deer in NY . Being unfamiliar with this round I’ve been shopping around and noticed that since  it’s a handgun round there’s a lot of Hollow Point offerings … Does anyone have any experience with hunting with this caliber  ? If so , what are you using and why ?? Were You successful ??? What was recovery like ??? Love to hear the feedback 

Thanks 

I always wanted one of those rifles.  Light, short and handy.  Where I hunt I have to shoot out to 200 yards at times so that round is out for me.  Out to 100-125 yards or so, you will do well.  Hornady 300 grain xtp and Buffalo Bore are good bullets.

I have one from my father....I never shot it but he use to hunt bear & deer w/ it in heavy brush.  Still have a bunch of old ammo for it.  I'll check today and let ya know what it is.  I know Barnes makes a nice hunting round for it.

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

10 hours ago, Nanuk said:

I looking to use a Ruger deer carbine this coming fall for deer in NY . Being unfamiliar with this round I’ve been shopping around and noticed that since  it’s a handgun round there’s a lot of Hollow Point offerings … Does anyone have any experience with hunting with this caliber  ? If so , what are you using and why ?? Were You successful ??? What was recovery like ??? Love to hear the feedback 

Thanks 

Hunted bear in New Brunswick Canada in the 1980s with a Marlin 44 mag lever action, took 3 bear, longest shot was 75 yards, all fell when hit, think i was using 240 grain pistol ammo

Here is the ammo he has.   Not sure if this is what he used hunting or for target. Im thinking target since it's the S&W Special ammo. 

image.jpeg.b0daaf40ea440bfaff58f58c951ad7dd.jpeg

IMG_5276.jpeg

IMG_5278.jpeg

IMG_5279.jpeg

Edited by Cousin Brown

Treestands don't demand, treestands don't complain, treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen. :cheers:

My father had a Ruger 44 Mag International (full stock), it shot great and he killed one deer in New York, sold it and went back to a Browning BAR in 30-06.

A buddy used a Marlin lever action to kill 4 or 5 bucks, he never lost one.  Both shot 240 grain bullets.

I know they were also prone to stove piping and having ejection issues because there’s 4 flush screws on the top of the receiver two are for scope mounts and two are blind tapped . If the screws are tighten they will cause the action to drag causing a jamming issue . The reason I bought this gun is my dads best friend (practically my uncle) shot one and having it brings me back to a better time . Hopefully “Uncle Bean” shines down this coming season. 

13 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

I keep these in my gun when I'm in grizzly country. They're hell to shoot out of a short barreled gun like my Super Redhawk but I'm sure they'd do the trick in your rifle. Pretty pricey though.

20230315_214238.jpg

I am not a pistol person. Friend of mine let me shoot this gun once with those Buffalo bores, nearly hit myself in the head from The recoil,wtf one and done!,here's your pistol back Ralph. He laughed.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

44 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

I'm sure they'd do the trick in your rifle. Pretty pricey though.

20230315_214238.jpg

Prices got more insane than crazy Eddie

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021046460?pid=256861

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

On 3/12/2023 at 10:43 PM, Nanuk said:

Thanks 

Ive killed 3 deer with 44 mag in indiana.  All handloaded 300 gr xtp hornady.  First was a buck at 4 yards with ruger super redhawk.  Stone dead when hit, dropped and never moved.  Second deer with redhawk was at 20 yds, hit behind the shoulder a little high, but not through the spine.  She dropped and died quickly.  0 yards for both.  3rd deer was a doe at 75 yd with a cva single shot.  Same 300 xtp load.  She went the furthest.  25 yds.  went straight through the heart.  I love hunting with it.  Not afraid to shoot it 200 yds with the CVA.   Groups about 2" at 100 yds.  Recoil is almost non existent in the carbine.  In the redhawk its stout but manageable.  With a good rest i would shoot it to 75 yds with confidence.  Have a 2x scope on it.