IGNORED

Hunters Insurance

RCR

I'm doing my offseason work and looking to get access to private property.  The owner is fine with me hunting, but wants me insured.  What is the best bet?  Not looking to break the bank - just check the box.

Thanks-Bob

1 minute ago, RCR said:

I'm doing my offseason work and looking to get access to private property.  The owner is fine with me hunting, but wants me insured.  What is the best bet?  Not looking to break the bank - just check the box.

Thanks-Bob

Welcome to the site Bob. This is the insurance we have used for years. 

https://www.njsfsc.org/insurance

3 hours ago, RCR said:

Thanks-Bob

If he dose not take money from you for hunting he is not liable for you. Something happens to you ,you are on you own. This is  in Virginia. I do not know  about other state. I give permission to hunt on my land but not renting it, so money is not involve.

10 minutes ago, fab said:

It’s general libility correct?

my one land owners requires me to have it in the event it’s needed.  

Yes.  Landowener not charging  $ has no liability in nj except if gross negligence like a booby trap, known open well.  That said, many want it anyway.  Wouldnt hurt to show him in nj guide or on hunter permission card though

As what others pointed out already, NJ has a very liberal landowner liability law. Usually the word "liberal" has a negative connotation :D but here it is good for us hunters/trappers/anglers. 

Basically, if the land owner gives you permission but doesn't charge for access, he owes you no duty to keep the premises safe (other than he can't be willfully malicious).

This law was passed in order to encourage private land owners to provide access to the public to enjoy outdoor activities.

It's a shame we live in such a litigious society that people still require you to have insurance, but it is what it is. But, you could tell the landowner about the NJ landowner liability law just to help ease his mind, even if you still get insurance.