IGNORED

Salmon River ?

toxo

Hi I'm planning on fishing the Salmon River "DSR"for a few days in the fall. Can anyone please explain the rules for spin fishing? Line,Leader, Do you need a Tippet for a spinning rod? Can you use lures with single hooks? The regulations are very confusing.

Thankz!:fishing:

Edited by Dinger

Thankz Bucksnbows,I still cant find if I need a Tippet for spinning gear. I know you need a swivel or knot for a break off point,If I'm using 10 lb main line what pound leader do I go down to and if I need a tippet what lb should that be?

Thankz in advance

Edited by toxo

13 minutes ago, toxo said:

Thankz Bucksnbows,I still cant find if I need a Tippet for spinning gear. I know you need a swivel or knot for a break off point,If I'm using 10 lb main line what pound leader do I go down to and if I need a tippet what lb should that be?

Thankz in advance

Makes no difference...need swivel as breaking point. Must be at least 12 inches from hook, but no more than 48 inches from hook.

Ok I will get into more detail for you. 
First if you have fly tackle you should use that because it is just an easier technique for the Salmon river. 

Back to spinning you are good with main line (Mono) no braid !! 
12 lb for Salmon and 10 lb for steelheads 

Attach a small micro swivel to the main line leaving a tag off the swivel to attach a light split shot. There is no reason to string a large amount of shot as you are trying to drift the run just occasionally ticking off the bottom. Run a floro leader 10 - 8 lb salmon 8 - 6 lb for steel no longer then 48 inches to the fly. 

I tried to never let the leader get shorter than 30 inches. Just run your drift as if you are trout fishing. Don’t Rip Just Fish.  

Don’t fall into the trap of snagging and ripping. Just Fish and enjoy the ride. 

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Thankz Everyone and  Thankz OMC thats the info. I was looking for. I figured I'll start out with the spinning rod and in the future move onto a Fly Rod.:up:

The reason the fly rod is easier because you can easily make a drift and then strip in and repeat easier then reeling up and casting. Also the longer fly rods make it easier to get a nice drift. 

I personally use smaller hooks and different color egg patterns. Most are tied on size 10 x strong glow bug hooks. 

8 hours ago, toxo said:

Thankz in advance

Sorry, I’m a fly fishing snob. I’m not sure on spin tackle, but we should have others here that know. 

I enjoy fly fishing now and then.My best trip was Fly Fishing for Bonefish in Mexico,boy was that fun! I have a 3 weight that I use for Trout.

I want to get the experience of catching Salmon in the river.Maybe next year I'll go with a fly rod that won't break the Bank! LOL

18 hours ago, toxo said:

Thankz Everyone and  Thankz OMC thats the info. I was looking for. I figured I'll start out with the spinning rod and in the future move onto a Fly Rod.:up:

Like OMC said,,,,,it is much easier fishing w the fly rod. You can start out w an inexpensive setup. My buddy still uses a 10' Ugly Stick and a Maxcatch fly reel. $150 out the door. 

2 hours ago, Coyoteslayer said:

I did a drift trip there a while ago and we drifted crank baits. I didn't think they would hit that but I trusted the guide. They hammered it. We slayed em. 

Go every year but never did this. Almost did 2 years ago when they were stacked in the estuary. The crankbaits still require a single hook I believe