IGNORED

new vehicle shopping

hostak126

I'm going to be purchasing a new vehicle earliest May, probably June or July. At the moment my choices are down to either a trailblazer (korean made) or a subaru crosstrek either premium or sport leaning more towards another subaru.

I'm leaning towards the crosstrek sport as it has the 2.5 litre 182hp engine. The premium model come with a 2.0 litre 152hp engine from what I've been reading is a little bit of a "dog" when it comes to acceleration and one one x mode snow/dirt. The dual x mode is snow/dirt and an addition option deep snow/mud.

Trailblazer sort of came out of left field has a 1.3 litre turbo 3 cylinder engine.

current car is a 2011 subaru impreza base model hatchback 2.5 litre engine 5 speed manual transmission. The crosstrek has the option of a 6 speed manual however I'm looking to get away from the manual as my left knee has a torn acl (that was not a fun ride home that night).

If anyone has any personal feedback on either of these vehicles it would be appreciated.

Edited by hostak126

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

Good luck with finding your next ride!!  I too plan on buying in the next 8 months or so….guna retire earliest 8/1  or latest 10/1 & guna upgrade out of my 2001 Tundra to a used Tundra in the $30-35k range w around 50k miles….SR trim cuz of the front bench seat…n maybe the 8 ft bed for camping n overnight huntin n fishin trips (set up long bed w a cot, etc like an easy truck camper system)

used market is seems to have slowed a bit and hope it craps out even more by the time I purchase…shud be in a worse recession than we are now so prices may dip more. 

Bought the wife a 22 outback onyx edition basically all water proof interior .  Happy with car no issues so far.  Only thing that I wish I would have done is bought the upper edition with a turbski.  It's alittle slower than I'm used to but that might just be me because I haven't had a non turbo vehicle in about 10 years.  But very happy with the car otherwise.  We went to cioca in PA they had a good selection on the lot when we were there.

Had a 14 cross trek with the smaller engine and comuted 90000 miles with it over 3 years before a crash with a tractor trailers. Probably would have kept it till it was no longer serviceable. Only oil changes and pad slapped the rears once. In the crash with the tractor trailer it probably save my life and crumpled perfectly. Only walked away with 6 broken ribs. Crosstrek was a beast in the snow with the stock Geolander tires. Never felt it be unsteady even in terrible conditions. Drove home on from NYC to the GAP on 80 with only one lane open and deep snow with no issues. 

Oil changes are a breeze with the top mounted filter. Real world Hiway MPG was like 35 and I believe the newer models with the smaller engine are higher. 

It is my understanding that the subaru head gasket issue had been resolved for quite some time now.   As always it will pay to maintain the cooling system.

Subaru has been using timing chains instead of belts since about 2012, another positive for subaru.

Avoid buying anything with a turbo if you plan on keeping the vehicle past 100000 miles.  Flee from anything hybrid, with the exception being toyota products, and having a plan to rack up high milage quickly.

Edited by tick trawler

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester with 276,000 miles on it. Hoping to get another 3 years out of it. Had the timing belt done at 100k and head gaskets/timing belt at 225k. I would buy another one. 

My sister has a 2008 Honda Pilot with over 200k on it that she loves. 

Guy at work has a Crosstrek and loves it. As a dog guy I prefer the Forester for the dog. Doggo has a lot of room to lay out after a run or hike in the back of the Forester. And all of my hunting gear fits in the back and still can see out of the back window. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

60K switched the trans gear oil and diff fluid to Amsoil 75-90 GL5 severe duty 500,000, runs like a champ.  Head gasket has never been replaced, timing belt, v-belts, water pump, t-stat, spark plugs replaced at 97K. plugs replaced again at around 140,000 or 150-ish. throw out bearing went so I had the clutch replaced anyway at 132,000. I'm going to be post for sale here and posting when the time comes. Where ever I'm at with mileage I'm 99.9999% doubtful the dealer will give me what I want in trade-in value.

One of my boss's hunting buddies bought his daughter a newer toyota. The guy's complaining the seats aren't comfortable and there's several noises it feels like the build quality isn't there. I was thinking Rav4 at first but will probably stay the course I'm thinking. I'm more interested in if there's a way to diy service a cvt fluid change w/o having to flush the system.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff