IGNORED

Entry/exit analysis on buck

JHbowhunter

We can go on forever with confusing experiences. I once hit a buck in the heart with a 3 blade, 2" mechanical. Hit only heart. I watched it walk and every time it stopped, I said "he's going down". Well about two hundred yards later, and after several stops and restarts, he went down in thick cover out of sight. When I gutted him, I could not believe he could go so far from that shot. There was a good blood trail the whole way.  It is what it is. 

14 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Agree dead is dead and no way he was getting up - but let me tell you watching him stand there for a few minutes had me concerned because shot seemed perfect. Did not want a long sleepless night 

Fully understand the feelings,  it starts raising questions at a rapid rate all thru one's head.

Not sure if you recall, but a few years ago I sent you a pic of a buck I shot and was surprised how far he traveled.  Basically same entrance and exit, except he was slightly 1/4 to me.

Your response was maybe a little high on entrance. 

I still feel deer sometimes react more when hit with a mechanical bh. But in the end, deer is recovered and a learning experience was achieved. Always something new...

Perfect shot Jack. It amazes me that when they are hit with the 300 WBY Mag and still go 50 yards with no front legs, half a heart, and both lungs blown to pieces. Other times, not even a hair flinches.

It is a little unnerving though when you thought you made a great shot and they get out of sight.

Your shot gave you the maximum amount of tissue cut . 
reason he went so far is because of the high hit on the near side that lung would not collapse as quickly as one center punched . 

if you had shot lower your exit would have been in the brisket and he would have went further yet . 

Until the near side lung was full of blood or collapsed he was running on adrenaline 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

These mechanical broadheads ALL have a limitation on shot placement.  A total failure  with bad shot placement ... which can be the fault of the deer

"jumping string" etc.  I shoot Zwickey fixed 2 bladed, sharpened to a razor's edge . And some of them I nave shot over & over again , just resharpen.

Why would I want to have a limitation on my shot placement ? 

My 2 cents 

On 1/9/2023 at 12:11 PM, 3Blade said:

Deer are tough critters for sure!

Like I told you before, they make us look like p***ies. Just stubbing my toe stops me in my tracks and I hit the floor crying like a little bitch

Most wild animals, excepting rabbits, are durn tough, born outdoors and get snowed and rained on, and only the toughest live to pass on their genes, so they get tougher as the centuries go by, and a century is nothing compared to the length of time mammals have existed, so they've had a lot of time to toughen up.  And yes, humans are softer then charmin.

Edited by njdoxie