Palawman30

Some Scrape Tips

I did a card pull a few days ago from cams I have on 3 scrapes. These are the real deal, not mock scrapes. I have no luck with mock scrapes, and I wear either my rain gear or scent blocker suit, with rubber gloves to my elbows when I go to them. The Moultrie cam is on a beech tree with 4 scrapes under it. I had a mock scrape running there, 15 yards away, for almost 2 months before the real ones opened up and had no luck on the mock scrape. Even after they opened up, still nothing on the mock scrape but plenty of action on the real one. 

The dates and times are all correct. The Browning trail cam that is elevated almost never takes color pics, Black and white even in the middle of the day. These are the only scrapes where I have stands within shooting distance. And these are the best bucks I have on the cams, best in a few years on 2 of the 3, yet nothing that makes me want to loose and arrow.

Edited by DV1
  • Agree 3

palawman,,  I have noticed that deer can see IR lights from Cameras.  I switched to Black Flash cameras..  Just my 2 cents and option

I noticed flash and IR cams spooking deer when we hunted Ohio over 10 years ago. I actually quit using cameras at my stand sites all together and use them at locations for a sort of inventory. I started putting them on scrapes a few years ago and the deer don't seem to be bothered by them, but I don't really have any mature deer where I hunt so maybe they would be bothered. 

This is a black flash cam set up on a run going up/down a small hill, and this deer clearly doesn't like it, even in the daytime. 

animals don't follow rules.

That is the only rule. lol

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more. I feel like you can take "never" and "always" out of your vocabulary when talking about animal behavior. 

As far as cams, I elevate mine pretty high all the time and they usually pay them no attention.

Now I'm no trail camera expert, I use them infrequently.....but I have to think that we can't just assume it's the flash (ir, black, whatever). The camera may also make enough noise that the deer can hear it and or it's a visual thing, and or it's contaminated with human scent. (Other possibilites?)

I love what trail cameras can teach us, but I think most people over-use them and ruin their spots. Every time you go into a spot, it's like breaking into the deers home. The deer know you were there. Now if you're baiting, this can be helpful sometimes, because they begin to think of you as non-threatening and they just pattern you. However, regular hunting without bait, every time in, even just to scout or check cams is decreasing your odds on the next sit. 

I think trail cam use is a whole topic itself though.

• Agree 1

DV1 your mock scraps are working and you just don't realize it!!!!  sub doms may not take a scrap over like a dom  they just make scapes near it. that is why I hunt in the middle of 2 and back off 20 yards to the down wind side.

• Agree 1

By the way your mock scrapes are not there to get the bucks on them they are they are there to get the girls on them which brings in the bigger bucks.

• Agree 2