IGNORED

Hunting NJ

IhuntNJ

Nothing stays same for long.  If you have honey holes they can change due to a variety of factors. Hunter encroachment being #1 reason. Land and houses change hands, which can alter deer behavior.  Seeing that big time around me. City people move to country and first thing they want to do is clear out brushy areas - prime deer bedding.  Or a hunter buys the house that had land that was a sanctuary for deer  etc etc etc 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Nothing stays same for long.  If you have honey holes they can change due to a variety of factors. Hunter encroachment being #1 reason. Land and houses change hands, which can alter deer behavior.  Seeing that big time around me. City people move to country and first thing they want to do is clear out brushy areas - prime deer bedding.  Or a hunter buys the house that had land that was a sanctuary for deer  etc etc etc 

Honey holes quickly turn into money holes, no?

Near my house is a JCP&L sub station and two nursing homes across the street,  many deer can be seen anytime of the day in both areas, yet go maybe two miles away with seeing zero to maybe 3 deer in the corn fields.

Point is urban areas or areas with no hunting or very little hunting will hold more deer, tradional deer hunting areas are in fact hold fewer deer. Less deer seen for many reasons:  hunting, predators, human interference,  etc. 

To @BHC ‘s point - public land gets way too much pressure to hold a high deer density.  They get pushed into areas that are not hunted. Get access near those areas it is a honey hole.  NJ could fix this with better regulations.  Shorter seasons less buck tags and no deer driving public land would make for better quality hunting overall. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….