IGNORED

Three Year Bowhunting Recap

Bmelvin

10 hours ago, sirj99831 said:

Between Listen to the JRE and following Cam Hanes (because of Joe) on Instagram I went out and bought a new bow last week after going to an archery range for a few weeks and shooting. It’s challenging but can’t wait to dive head first.

I am by no means an expert and learn every time I go in the woods. I have shot my fair share of animals with the bow and this would be my advice. Practice religiously and make sure you are intimate with your bow and its accessories.  If you can’t sit down on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you and draw and let down your bow cleanly your poundage is to high. To many guys have their bows cranked up bc their ego says they need to be shooting 70 bows. And a lot of them get jammed up when a deer comes in hot or they are wearing a bunch of clothes in the cold and spook the deer. I have shot a few great bucks kneeling down or crouching on a treestand to get the correct angle and being able to draw. If I had to stand up and draw I would have never gotten a shot. While practicing focus on worst case scenarios and angles.  Always error on the side of caution while hunting and leave your ego at home.  Give the animal the respect it deserves and do everything you can to make a clean quick kill. Now that being said no matter how much you practice or take caution things will go wrong eventually. Anyone that says they have never missed or made a bad shot either hasn’t been bow hunting long enough or they are lying.  Just learn from it and move on.  Spend a lot of time on your woodsmanship as it will be vital to be successful with the bow.   Lastly have fun and enjoy the obsession!! Best of luck!!

Edited by Bmelvin