IGNORED

Epic battle with giant lake trout - McKenzie River, Canada

Bucksnbows

I have fished with a group of great guys and some gals for the last 22 years.  We call ourselves the Trout Louts and have an annual fly fishing trip to the West Branch of the Delaware every spring.  Many of us fish together on additional trips all over the world throughout the year.  This was the McKenzie River Lodge in Labrador, Canada and we had to drive 24 hours from Warwick, NY to Labrador City and fly a turbo Otter in to camp which was about 45 minutes.

The angler here is my buddy Rick who now lives on the East Branch in Hancock, NY, and he is hooked into a monster lake trout on the fly.  We had a storm front moving in as you can tell, but nobody had any idea it was going to be so bad to the point of dangerous hail and lightening.  The guide is on Rick's right side in these photos I took during the fight.  The rain and hail was falling so fast, the guide couldn't see to net the trout even though Rick had fought it into net range several times.  At one point, a bolt of lightening hit the low ridge near us and I turned and quickly tossed my fly rod onto the willows along the shoreline.  No need to stand in a river with a 9 foot long lightening rod in hand.  In the end, the big fish won.  The 4X tippet finally parted and the laker swam off.  One of the most epic fights I have ever been there to witness.  It really didn't matter that it wasn't landed, the experience left us all shaking.  It was either that or the fact we were now soaked through and all had to quickly double step the caribou trails back to camp for dry gear.  This lodge is one of the best we've been to as far as fishing. It's not fancy, and neither are we.  But we caught pike, lake trout, whitefish, landlocked Atlantic salmon, and brook trout.  All native and stream bred.  All on fly rods.  Dries, streamers and nymphs throughout the week.  Can't say enough good things about the experience or their staff!   

https://mckenzieriverlodge.com/

P1160477.JPG

P1160478.JPG

P1160479.JPG

P1160480.JPG

P1160481.JPG

17 hours ago, Nomad said:

Did he hook the lake trout at a rivermouth?

The McKenzie River is a slow moving lake as much as a river. In some places where it necks down, it is very much a river. In the other places, more of a lake. But we also fished three tributaries that are all normal rivers.