IGNORED

Gun Safe - Recommendations needed

Bandit

2 hours ago, vdep217 said:

I have a 36 and a 16 in a closet I need a 48 and the 36 now.  I converted my closet into a safe.  Dead bolt door steel frame.  I will ad my gun closet is also my reloading room

Not trying to be a smarty pants but how does a steel door frame help if the walls are sheet rock? Also making assumptions here... BUT I like the idea and it is why I am asking.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

1 hour ago, thefirstndsecond said:

Not trying to be a smarty pants but how does a steel door frame help if the walls are sheet rock? Also making assumptions here... BUT I like the idea and it is why I am asking.

The thought is and was it's going to take someone time to get through the sheet rock and cut a hole big enough to get every thing out. 

On 12/17/2022 at 12:05 PM, Jcol6268 said:

If you’re going in a closet, I would consider a gun cabinet. They can easily be secured to the floor or wall. Tractor Supply is tough to beat for gun cabinets or safes. 

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stack-on-18-gun-beveled-edge-safe-gcm-1918-dx?cm_vc=-10011

I was going to say Tractor supply has some safes at a reasonable price.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

On 3/26/2023 at 2:01 PM, vdep217 said:

The thought is and was it's going to take someone time to get through the sheet rock and cut a hole big enough to get every thing out. 

Best thing you could do is line inside walls with 3/4 Plywood , that would slow them done but  Sheetrock not so much . An 18V or better  Cordless  sawzall is no match .

And if you have a safe, bolt it down , once an unbolted safe is thrown on its back they have more leverage to pry at the door or hinges no matter what brand .  

Whatever they advertise they can fit is complete bullshat.

Cut that # in half.

That's how many spots there are but if you place a gun in a spot it eliminates the room for 1 or 2 other spots. They don't take into account the stocks in the way of eachother - or bolts sticking out the sides or scopes taking up room..

Gun cabinets are much better for storage imo. But they are not great for theft or fire protection.. if you're worried about that go with a larger safe

14 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Cut that # in half.

That's how many spots there are but if you place a gun in a spot it eliminates the room for 1 or 2 other spots. They don't take into account the stocks in the way of eachother - or bolts sticking out the sides or scopes taking up room..

Gun cabinets are much better for storage imo. But they are not great for theft or fire protection.. if you're worried about that go with a larger safe

This works well

https://www.storemoreguns.com/heavy-on-long-guns-gun-safe-accessories-bundle/

Still no room for that to be any help..

I have a 10 gun  field and stream and there's no way you can use all 10 spots at once.  Stocks take up all the floor space and no room for any more

Should be called a 6 gun safe and the other 4 side spots are not useful at all

20230328_122601.jpg

20230328_122554.jpg

Edited by JerseyJaysTaxidermy

2 hours ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Cut that # in half.

You are correct on the capacity, it is BS

also 90% of safes are easy to cut into and they are useless in the house fire. This goes for almost all of your biggest, most expensive safes. 
They make heavy doors but the side walls can be cut in with basic house tools. The fire resistance is laughable and in case of house fire your guns are history. 

gun cabinet is really your best bet 

Edited by Lunatic

28 minutes ago, JerseyJaysTaxidermy said:

Still no room for that to be any help..

I have a 10 gun  field and stream and there's no way you can use all 10 spots at once.  Stocks take up all the floor space and no room for any more

Should be called a 6 gun safe and the other 4 side spots are not useful at all

20230328_122601.jpg

20230328_122554.jpg

With what I posted get rid of the slotted black bracket just use the rods you will fit 12 or so nicely 

On 3/28/2023 at 12:56 PM, vdep217 said:

With what I posted get rid of the slotted black bracket just use the rods you will fit 12 or so nicely 

Still no chance of any more- the door goes into the safe and touches the stocks that are there.. no opening spot on the floor for stocks to fit.

Horrible design. 

I have 3 different Stack-On gun cabinets.  In my experience, actual gun capacity is around 60% of rated capacity.  Definitely, get one that will hold about 4x as many guns as you think  you will ever own.  I started with a 10 gun cabinet.  I had room for a couple more guns.  I foolishly thought that would be enough.  Each of the other 2  cabinets I have are about double that size, and things are getting tight.  I may need to think about getting a 4th cabinet soon.  I have problems.

Edited by barrike

9 hours ago, Nanuk said:

I agree Vito , I have the same rod kit works well especially with rifles with scopes , gets the most out of the safe but definitely not what’s advertised. 

Rifle Rods do work and does increase capacity a bit, but you can only get so much extra storage space out of a smaller safe. I think I still have a bunch of them that I never opened or used.

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I agree you always end up needing more safe space. I started with one 12 gun safe. Now I have two 12 gun safes and a 10 gun cabinet. The cost and space needed for 3 smaller safes that can accommodate the same amount of guns as one large one is about the same. The advantage of getting several smaller ones rather than one large one is they are much easier to move when needed. 

Edited by OldPiney Woods