IGNORED

My real life cold feet boot reviews

JHbowhunter

Imo

many guys who get cold feet are trying to make them too warm and causing them to sweat more 

heavier is not always better . 
you need your feet to breath . 

trying different types of socks will more than likely find a happy medium than bulking up socks 

toe Warner’s etc are adding too much heat to an area you don’t want to sweat . 
so once the initial warmth goes away your feet will get even colder .

sometimes the cold is from the boots drawing cold from the metal stands 

lots of different boot insoles that slow that down . 

long time ago we would cut a foam  insole from a meat tray . 
that light piece of foam under your inner sole wasn’t noticed but really helped keep the cold from the stand making it to your feet 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I use the arctic ice with a thin smartwool sock and then a thick, hiking smartwool sock or a tsmartwool skiing sock that goes up almost to the knee and have no problem with cold, in teens or even single digits. High quality skiing socks work well because they have extra insulation under the soles, at heels, and around toes. My feet aren't extremely sensitive to cold, but they're not real good either. The OP didn't discuss his choice of socks. Wool warms you even when damp, so if the sweaty feet hypothesis is right, making sure you use the right socks should improve the arctic ices. That said, I was surprised by my Arctic Ice which I got on sale at end of the season--they're not all that much warmer than my Woody Max.

Sometimes I steal my son's game day soccer socks as a very think added underlayer. They wick real well.

And don't forget that pockets of air insulate. Tight boots won't work well at all. I buy boots so they're always a little loose on me and don't compress a robust double layer of socks. 

Edited by JFC1

55 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Imo

many guys who get cold feet are trying to make them too warm and causing them to sweat more 

heavier is not always better . 
you need your feet to breath . 

trying different types of socks will more than likely find a happy medium than bulking up socks 

toe Warner’s etc are adding too much heat to an area you don’t want to sweat . 
so once the initial warmth goes away your feet will get even colder .

sometimes the cold is from the boots drawing cold from the metal stands 

lots of different boot insoles that slow that down . 

long time ago we would cut a foam  insole from a meat tray . 
that light piece of foam under your inner sole wasn’t noticed but really helped keep the cold from the stand making it to your feet 

Never had an issue with Toe Heaters. Depending on the temp, sometimes I don't even use them. It was 23 when I went out today so I have them in. Warm feet

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Sweat is the killer and dry boots are the key. I use a boot drier especially when hunting consecutive days all day. You don't realize how much moisture is in your boots after a long hunt.

Rubber Boots are for trapping muskrats. If they cross your scent line, they will smell you no matter what's on your feet.  I wear nothing but leather boots anymore unless it is early season. 

Highest pile sock you can find will make a huge difference. I have tried just about every sock, and these are the highest pile by far. It seems they have copper or metallic strands woven into them. I've worn these socks wading for steelies in January for several hours and could still feel my toes after. The biggest things I found with these socks is they are such a high pile you will need a full size bigger on your boots.   They cost half of what higher end merino goes for and I am a huge merino fan.

Men's ORIGINAL™ Thermal Socks | Heat Holders®

Boots have to be loose.

Thermacell insoles. Keep them on low they will last 8 hours.

Carpet or a pad on your platform will make a big difference.

I have a set of PNUMA tops and bottoms that are electric, and I never get cold anymore. Able to dress way lighter than I have ever been able to.

Headwear and gloves are key. if your head or your hands are cold your feet will be cold.

My feet got really cold this year on all day sit. I ended up putting my feet with my boots on inside my fleece backpack, which allowed me to make it until dark. It wasn't the temperatures but the windchill that was making it unbearable.  I may end up getting a pair of the boot blankets after this as they seem like a simple solution to a problem, and I figured I could walk in with sneakers or something very light if I really wanted to.... If I had muck boots or similar on that day, I would have been toast by 0900.

Danner Pronghorns are my choice

46 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Never had an issue with Toe Heaters. Depending on the temp, sometimes I don't even use them. It was 23 when I went out today so I have them in. Warm feet

For some reason, my feet get colder during an AM hunt then a PM hunt even if the temps are the same. I never sit more than 3 hours so if my feet eventually sweat, the hunt is usually over. I use toe warmers when temps go under 30 degrees and only on AM hunts. I have tried the boot blankets and they work OK but I don't like the extra bulk in my backpack. I find when using toe warmers, I can use a lighter boot that is more conducive to walking. Heavy boots make your feet and body sweat which is the start of your problem. If you are driven to your blind and can take every possible thing you need to keep warm is one thing. If you have to walk over 200 yds with heavy boots, socks, clothes, you are already doomed to get cold. I have never had any boot keep my feet "warm", just tolerable. It's never perfect. When I get home, it takes hours for my feet to return to normal. 

There are certain things that are a MUST :

no cotton socks

boots must not be tight

at least 800 grams of thinsulate insulation. 

Years ago, we experimented with Niacin supplements. They give you a flush of warmth all over your body, but it doesn't last. You would have to take them throughout the day and almost OD on them. :happywave:

Edited by archer36

19 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I have contemplated buying these, but my biggest concern is they may be too narrow for my wide feet. Really neat concept....wool lined rubber boot.

https://www.lechameau.com/us/men-s-chasseur-wool-lined-boot-10319#selection.size=5670

That’s where rubber boots are weird 

most are only made in D width and stretch sideways to allow a wider foot 

my everyday boots are 4E wide and I have to buy them at specialty stores 

yet mucks at  all levels stretch enough to let me wear them 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/