IGNORED

What gun and load are you shooting for the Muzzy opener

LPJR

15 hours ago, FDhunt1213 said:

Never had a problem with a blood trial from the sst most drop within feet of impact but a few have run off 50-70 yards.. and this is what I find 

6B3DD266-DF41-4642-90DF-8DB0A8ECBF1B.jpeg

Helped many friends recover deer shot with SST 

that is always what the blood trail has looked like  right from POI

most are between 40/75 yards . 
Thry all complain about not getting a deer to instantly drop but all shoot super groups at 200 yards with them . 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Matthews Triax, 60# draw.    I have not bought  muzzy permit in over 25 years, and this is first year I do not have firearm license either.    Thought maybe if I tagged out permit bow, might by firearm license but probably will not bother. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

0940C8B6-7033-4F23-AC1C-08CCF02F78D7.jpeg.e08e54afdaff6e25ee52f15c0f16fb6c.jpeg

action is a bit slow today so I’ll chime in with my setup, and also stir the pot a bit with a “Capt. Obvious” statement, no offense LPJR!😁

So, you can see my rifle, it has the Nikon Inline XR scope, I use two 60 gr 777 pellets and a 260 gr. TC Shockwave bullet. 

None of the deer I body shoot drop, none, but that’s because I’m so ingrained with the “Bowhunter’s” POA behind the shoulder that I simply don’t aim for the high shoulder drop shot. Now, if I have a deer 50 yards and in, I’ll neck shoot them and drop them every time. 
So, where I may stir the pot is, I don’t believe the gun/bullet/powder charge has anything whatsoever to do with dropping deer in their tracks, it’s simply a matter of POI. 

Everyone agree?😉

Good luck today guys! 

7 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Shoot a 300 gr barnes expander and you would see a huge difference.  Energy transfer is incomparable.  Poi definitely makes a difference but with this bullet ive had all drop in their tracks!

Have to disagree with you on this one GG, 40-50 grain difference in bullet weight won’t do it, if your POI isn’t close enough to the BP or the spinal cord, they won’t drop. 
Hell guys used to use huge slugs, some still do, but that doesn’t guarantee you’re gonna drop every deer you hit. 

8 minutes ago, Pathman said:

Have to disagree with you on this one GG, 40-50 grain difference in bullet weight won’t do it, if your POI isn’t close enough to the BP or the spinal cord, they won’t drop. 
Hell guys used to use huge slugs, some still do, but that doesn’t guarantee you’re gonna drop every deer you hit. 

Its not the weight but how this bullets performs.  It mushrooms and transfers energy different than a regular jacketed lead bullet.  It opens up twice its diameter in a uniform flower shape at just about any velocity and always retains almost 100% of its weight.  Ive shot well over 50 big game animals with this load including mule deer, pronghorn, boar, etc. and every single one of my animals dropped in their tracks.  Its like pulling the plug!  There are some on here that have had the same results.

8 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Its not the weight but how this bullets performs.  It mushrooms and transfers energy different than a regular jacketed lead bullet.  It opens up twice its diameter in a uniform flower shape at just about any velocity and always retains almost 100% of its weight.  Ive shot well over 50 big game animals with this load including mule deer, pronghorn, boar, etc. and every single one of my animals dropped in their tracks.  Its like pulling the plug!  There are some on here that have had the same results.

Well, I’ll take you at your word that every animal you shot dropped GG, 50 animals is quite a sample size, but you do realize that’s an anomaly that the vast majority will never achieve! That being said, I maintain that it’s more the POI then the bullet, but hey, that’s just my opinion based on my extensive observations of deer kills. 
Im glad you mentioned the number of animals you dropped, I was actually going to post a poll to see how many animals guys actually dropped when they say “ every deer I shoot drops…” because I was starting to think that if guys are talking 5-6 deer, ok, maybe their POA is such that they inherently drop deer with every shot, and that it was an odds thing. 

Let me ask this then, where exactly is your POA and at what distance are you typically shooting? 

Cva wolf topped with vortex vantage ir scope using two 50grain pellets of triple 7 and a 240g hornady xtp... this combo smoked two deer last year @ 150 and 175 yards both deer dead in sight...

Theres more fun hunting with the handicap of a bow than the surness of a gun!The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind!