IGNORED

Good Luck Tomorrow.

Tarhunt

41 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

Good luck everyone!

Just got back from the range. I bought some 290 grain Hornady FTX Bore Drivers. Wanted to see how they shot out of my TC Triumph. Shot well with 2 Pyrodex pellets.

Hopefully I will get to see how they perform on a deer tomorrow. I am not happy with the 245 grain Powerbelts I was using. They shot well but the last 2 deer I shot with them left zero blood trail. Both deer went 50-75 yds and fell over. I figured I would give something else a try. 

I've been getting poor blood trails with ML and Slug Gun. When they take of like thoroughbreds, they don't lay much down. It seems the closer you shoot them, the harder they run. I guess the noise scares the hell out of them too. :rofl:

Edited by archer36

3 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I've been getting poor blood trails with ML and Slug Gun. When they take of like thoroughbreds, they don't lay much down. It seems the closer you shoot them, the harder they run. I guess the noise scares the hell out of them too. :rofl:

Bullets kill by massive shock they are not designed to leave a blood trail.   You do not want an exit as you want all of the bullets energy transfered to the target

9 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Bullets kill by massive shock they are not designed to leave a blood trail.   You do not want an exit as you want all of the bullets energy transfered to the target

Well it must be true. I've used at least 6 different slugs and 6 different ML bullets and none leave a blood trails like a similar broadhead shot would create.

I guess I'll stop looking. :whatever:

So, you think that a bullet that does not have enough energy to exit expends more energy inside the deer than a bullet that fully expands and still blows thru a deer with such force that it is able to exit? No too sure about that.  Also the benefit of an exit hole for a much better blood trail.  

I always was under the impression that snapping a cap removed moisture from the breech and barrel 🤷🏼‍♂️ And as far as Hornadys go , they only allowed me maybe 2 shots before I couldn’t load an additional round and needed to clean the barrel. Power belts I’m able to shoot 4-6 rounds before the bore gets a little tight .. 

1 hour ago, LPJR said:

Does not foul the barrel to impede the load or compromise the barrel in my opinion Mark. I ALWAYS snap a cap after cleaning my Accura and just before loading it. 

Thanks, that is what I did.  Only my second season with the Accura.

6 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

If you poke the nipple with a pick, you know its clear. NO need to snap a cap, which could foul the nipple.

Snapping a cap serves a couple purposes not just ensuring a clean nipple.  Drys any excess moisture and will blow any foreign debris from barrel.  Always snap a cap

21 minutes ago, Nanuk said:

I always was under the impression that snapping a cap removed moisture from the breech and barrel 🤷🏼‍♂️ And as far as Hornadys go , they only allowed me maybe 2 shots before I couldn’t load an additional round and needed to clean the barrel. Power belts I’m able to shoot 4-6 rounds before the bore gets a little tight .. 

You are probably using to much powder and not getting a clean burn reduce charge a bit and it will be better

7 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Snapping a cap serves a couple purposes not just ensuring a clean nipple.  Drys any excess moisture and will blow any foreign debris from barrel.  Always snap a cap

I do if i just cleaned it.  makes sure no excess oil in there to dampen powder & mine defintely shoots better with a fouled barrel. 

Edited by gregtpal

11 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

If you poke the nipple with a pick, you know its clear. NO need to snap a cap, which could foul the nipple.

I have the tools from CVA to clear/clean the breech plug. I remove it, soak it in cleaner,  use the drill bit tool to clean the rear of flash hole and the pic to clean the front. I look through it to see daylight. It's surprising how much cleaning is needed to get it perfect.

I snap a cap to slightly foul the barrel and remove moisture. If you finish up sighting in with a fouled barrel, it makes sense to do this. If you thoroughly clean your barrel after each shot then it may not be necessary. 

But who does that? :worship: