IGNORED

Good Luck Tomorrow.

Tarhunt

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I always snapped caps to make sure the pathway was clear not to foul the barrel.  Do you think snapping a cap fouls the barrel without sending a bullet and powder down the barrel?

Everything is a matter of degree. Not fouled like a full powder charge but not slick like a fully cleaned barrel. It's sort of in the middle. 

39 minutes ago, Buckeyes11 said:

I always shoot one cap prior to loading. I have a CVA Optima with Leupold glass. 240 grain Hornanady SST with 2 pyrodex pellets. Wanted to try the blackhorn but I have a full box of pellets. No sense in switching.  I’ll be out in afternoon   Gotta work tonight. Good luck to everyone!

I made the switch from Pyrodex to BH last year and switched back to pellets. I'm using White Hots now. I waited till I used up all my Pyrodex first. To me the convenience of pellets outweighs the ease of repeated loading. At most you should only be shooting two loads before fully cleaning again in the event you need a follow up shot or wait for a two deer harvest. 

Edited by archer36

4 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Damn. Had a brain fart with his name. I'll go back and fix it. 

I never said anything about "clearing" barrels or anything else for that matter. 

All good 👍

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Good luck everyone!

Just got back from the range. I bought some 290 grain Hornady FTX Bore Drivers. Wanted to see how they shot out of my TC Triumph. Shot well with 2 Pyrodex pellets.

Hopefully I will get to see how they perform on a deer tomorrow. I am not happy with the 245 grain Powerbelts I was using. They shot well but the last 2 deer I shot with them left zero blood trail. Both deer went 50-75 yds and fell over. I figured I would give something else a try. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious:

2 hours ago, Nomad said:

I always snapped caps to make sure the pathway was clear not to foul the barrel.  Do you think snapping a cap fouls the barrel without sending a bullet and powder down the barrel?

Does not foul the barrel to impede the load or compromise the barrel in my opinion Mark. I ALWAYS snap a cap after cleaning my Accura and just before loading it. 

18 minutes ago, Devil Horns said:

Good luck everyone!

Just got back from the range. I bought some 290 grain Hornady FTX Bore Drivers. Wanted to see how they shot out of my TC Triumph. Shot well with 2 Pyrodex pellets.

Hopefully I will get to see how they perform on a deer tomorrow. I am not happy with the 245 grain Powerbelts I was using. They shot well but the last 2 deer I shot with them left zero blood trail. Both deer went 50-75 yds and fell over. I figured I would give something else a try. 

Was just talking about the Powerbelts the other day. I only use Hornady SST bullets now, but when I used to do the High Point hunt I shot 2 does with Powerbelts at different times. These were tow of the worst blood trails that went on WAY TOO LONG  for me to continue using them with confidence. . 

6 minutes ago, LPJR said:

Was just talking about the Powerbelts the other day. I only use Hornady SST bullets now, but when I used to do the High Point hunt I shot 2 does with Powerbelts at different times. These were tow of the worst blood trails that went on WAY TOO LONG  for me to continue using them with confidence. . 

Anything I hit with a Powerbelt dropped in it's tracks

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

4 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Anything I hit with a Powerbelt dropped in it's tracks

I have buddies that swear by them with similar results as you. I am a fan of Hornady ammo so I figured I would try them out. They shot well at the range. Real test will be on deer. 

I'm your Huckleberry :devious: