IGNORED

NJ Bear hunt.

nmc02

Buddy and I will be up in North Jersey on Monday and Tuesday to hunt someplace different and camp. I typically hunt in Hunterdon county near my home, but 6 day has become a real snooze fest around here with last year being the worst ever. No one was out and I didn’t even hear a shot all day long and this was in zone 10 which is loaded with deer.
I’m actually looking forward to hunting someplace with  some pressure as it adds an element of fun to it and you never know what will get pushed your way. Not sure I will shoot a bear if it comes by, and if a buck comes by it has to be a bruiser or I’ll just let it go. Between the couple of deer I’ve already killed this season with the bow and the elk I shot in Wyoming, my chest freezer is already overflowing with meat. I’m most looking forward to the winter camping which I love to do and hiking around the bigger woods. Should be a fun time with just that and if we bring something home it will be a bonus.

Took a long lunch to zero the slug gun today. I took my PB whitetail with it last year so it should have been right on. Nope. Was expecting to take 1 shot and be done, instead I shot 10 rounds and I'm still not happy. I got it within an inch at 100 yards my last 2 shots and I thought, "that's good now. Let me take ONE LAST shot just to make sure".... aaaand 3 inches high. :rant:

Need to go piss away another $50 and buy a couple more boxes to make sure I'm good.

Mediocrity will not be tolerated... I WILL be prepared if a bear walks in front of me on Monday the 5th  :shotgun:

On 11/22/2022 at 7:12 AM, nmc02 said:

Do any of you plan on hunting all 6 days for a bear until successful??

Not me. Have NO problem with hunters getting each bear they can. Best of luck to everyone trying.  Have a TEAM of guys ready if you should score. 

20221122_181511.jpg

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Took a long lunch to zero the slug gun today. I took my PB whitetail with it last year so it should have been right on. Nope. Was expecting to take 1 shot and be done, instead I shot 10 rounds and I'm still not happy. I got it within an inch at 100 yards my last 2 shots and I thought, "that's good now. Let me take ONE LAST shot just to make sure".... aaaand 3 inches high. :rant:

Need to go piss away another $50 and buy a couple more boxes to make sure I'm good.

Mediocrity will not be tolerated... I WILL be prepared if a bear walks in front of me on Monday the 5th  :shotgun:

Boresight it before you shoot it

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

8 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Bear activity in my spot seems to have slowed. In September and October, my spot was crawling bears. Lately I occasionally have a couple on camera late at night. Do they know the hunt’s back on - LOL 

They will be out!!!!

https://weather.com/weather/

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

11 hours ago, Merkel said:

Bear activity in my spot seems to have slowed. In September and October, my spot was crawling bears. Lately I occasionally have a couple on camera late at night. Do they know the hunt’s back on - LOL 

No, cold weather kicked in. Many sows with cubs will den for winter. Most boars likely won’t. And our bears routinely go in and out of their dens all winter with exceptions of sows nursing newborn cubs this winter. 

13 minutes ago, Silkcitymedic said:

If you need a place to hunt Bear on State Land Berkshire Valley WMA off of 15 South just north of Route 80 right where the billboard is there is a large parking area. Walk down in there and there are plenty of large bear. I saw Bear there all the time when bow hunting it. 

Yup. The Rockaway River flows through a lowland area with thick swamps on both sides.