IGNORED

CVA load combo

MGHunter66

Went to the range to get ready for upcoming Muzzy season. Shot Aerolites which were dead on but tried a new combination with surprisingly excellent results. Shooting 100gr of Blackhorn 209 with CCI mag primer(my usual charge & primer) I shot 250gr Barnes Spitfires in Harvester black sabots P/N H5045SB. These sabots are made for bullets under 300gr. Three shot groups were unbelievably tight out of the simple no nonsense Optima. E42C2AB6-1171-408D-A14A-6D83CDD3A519.jpeg.c38d16d0d4dab28b8679d41d1e73f754.jpeg

AWM

16 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

The barnes bullet is FAR superior to those junk powerbelts. Powerbelts fly great, just don't perform well on game. Barnes drops them in their tracks. I know some will disagree....

Not me, I agree 100% 

22 hours ago, nmc02 said:

The barnes bullet is FAR superior to those junk powerbelts. Powerbelts fly great, just don't perform well on game. Barnes drops them in their tracks. I know some will disagree....

I never shot Barnes but every deer I hit with a Powebelt dropped in their tracks

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

16 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

I never shot Barnes but every deer I hit with a Powebelt dropped in their tracks

I used Powerbelts a number of years. It performed as good as several others I have tried since then. Hornady XTP's, Hornady SST's, Harvester Scorpion PT, Harvester Sabretooth.  No magic to any of them. One thing for sure, Powerbelts are nice to load in a fouled barrel. 

1 hour ago, Bucndoe said:

Powerbelt bullets (in my experience) are great to shoot at targets.....very accurate. However, I have hit many that ran without any good blood trails.  I never lost a deer with them. When I switched to the Barnes TMZ, deer never take another step and blood everywhere. 

17 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Powerbelt bullets (in my experience) are great to shoot at targets.....very accurate. However, I have hit many that ran without any good blood trails.  I never lost a deer with them. When I switched to the Barnes TMZ, deer never take another step and blood everywhere. 

Well I will argue the point somewhat….Powerbelts especially the Aerolites are lethal. Most guys that pick a powerbelt simply pick the wrong one and too heavy of a grain weight to provide proper expansion on deer sized game. Barnes on the other hand are in line with nosler partitions, very fragile nose and secure base so reliable expansion at lower velocities is a given. Just my 2 cents

AWM

40 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Well I will argue the point somewhat….Powerbelts especially the Aerolites are lethal. Most guys that pick a powerbelt simply pick the wrong one and too heavy of a grain weight to provide proper expansion on deer sized game. Barnes on the other hand are in line with nosler partitions, very fragile nose and secure base so reliable expansion at lower velocities is a given. Just my 2 cents

I am open to others opinions....maybe was my problem. I shot 295 grain PB bullets, wanted knock down power. They NEVER expanded well. I switched to 290 Barnes and expanded.